Very little luck with detection

I supposed I have more “electrical stuff” than most. Between being a computer person, with 6 to 10 machines on and off all the time, and being a ham radio operator with power supplies that are on and off, I think I have totally confused sense. After a couple of months, it seems to have found one coffee maker (there are two on every day) and one garage door opener. It found a second garage door opener and reports that often. Shame I don’t have one.

It really is quite useless, and if you would just let is tag some stuff while we watch it turn on, a lot could be narrowed down.

I also have two oil burners (one for hot water and one for the TWO air handlers). It has no clue on those.

What I have found useful, is to stand at the fuse panel and turn everything off (except sense) and watch for usage as I turn circuits back on. I was able to find a 100w drain that was always on and did not need to be. Somethings use more or less than you thought! So at least it is fun to play with.

2 Likes

I’ve struggled with detection as well. Several unknown motors and devices that i cannot figure out. Or when it says it’s on, i can’t figure out what the heck it is. Certainly was hoping by having the data sent to them it would be parsed a bit more. Appears i need to identify most things, which is unfortunate.

Still neat to see the usage.

I too am going on 1 month with no devices identified. It’s very disheartening to see that others have gone several months with no devices being identified. I agree that we should be able to label a device as they are used even if these labels remain local to the user. I’d rather see that than nothing at all.

I’m going on a month or so now me Sense has identified 12 devices, some legit, some I can’t figure out. It does seem odd that it’s unable to identify my coffee maker that I use every day, other basic stuff like TVs, lights, ceiling fans, blow dryers, et cetera. The official post from Sense about detection being fully automated as opposed to accepting user input is due to human error. You may turn on your TV and the dehumidifier also turns on at the same time and when you identify that change as the “TV” it can confuse the system. I can think of a few ways to mitigate that… but that’s for the engineers to decide. The real reason for not allowing user input is because of devices that have multiple states. Take your microwave for instance, it spins with a light on, it also has a heating element, it also has some kind of readout. That’s three different power levels that may or may not run all at the same time or in some combination.