Washing machine usage

I believe @kevin1 has posted a screenshot of his washing machine usage as reported by a HS110 smartplug, but I wanted to share mine as well. This is a new Maytag front load machine, and the usage pattern is pretty crazy and shows a number of subcomponents. There is obviously the main drum motor, which runs at different speeds for tumbling, spinning, and balancing. There is a separate drain pump. Then there’s a heater used for warming the water and for generating steam (I think these are the same, but they might be separate). Finally there are a number of solenoid valves for metering water and detergent. Lots going on here!

Also, before I put this on a smartplug, Sense had detected the drum motor and was displaying its usage. This captured the bulk of the energy used by the machine. This example here is the first time I’ve used a cycle that activated the internal heater. Not sure if Sense would have picked that up if given the opportunity.

image image

4 Likes

@pswired. Mine was never detected by Sense, hence the Addition of the smart plug. The amount of activity going on I would think that full detection without the smart plug would be near impossible. Many similarities to your waveform.

2 Likes

@dwleckie
Mine was detected by Sense but only currently for a cold cycle. Front Load G E about five years old.
When run on warm, hot or the energy eating sanitize, it’s not recognized.
I was surprised about detecting it because the power meter is a mess.

1 Like

Our Maytag 2000 was detected natively, and quite well at that. It seems to have detected just the drum motor but there’s no heating elements or anything in our model so that’s really 99.9% of the consumption.

It’s a front loader as well and the constant change in rotation direction makes for a pretty interesting display in Sense.

1 Like

@oshawapilot
I think that’s why the power meter looks so wild on mine, the constant change in rotation. It’s really quite impressive that sense detected it as the way I know ours works is it determines load size by weight. The weight is calculated by current draw to turn the drum and that also tells the machine if the spin cycle has done an adequate job. If we do a small load the draw is mich less on a load than if we do something large. I’ve seen 100 watts averages and 400 watt averages per load. It’s not the wattage alone sense is using to identify apparently. I’m guessing it’s using scaling of some type and see the same signature shape (don’t know proper terminology) to determine it’s the same appliance.
The washer was the one large appliance I never anticipated detection for so I’m very pleased.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.