Modern Washing Machines Natively Detected?

Hello all,

Sense had found my old, circadian 2000, washing machine fairly quickly after installation. Unfortunately for me the drum was leaking and it got replaced with a new modern fancy one. I see a couple similar models in the device library, but they all seem to be detected via smart plug. Does anyone have a fairly recent washing machine that was natively detected? I’ve waited 10 or so load so far and nothing, but have two KP-115s coming today. One will be for my modern fridge which has been giving Sense a heck of a time to detect, and the other is a spare. Wondering if I should use this on the washer.

Opinions welcome, and thanks!

Sense hasn’t found my relatively new Sears front loader in over two years and I’ve not put it on a smart plug so far. Sense did detect my dryer motor (dryer is 240v), but hasn’t reliably found my dryer heater(s).

Mine is the opposite - Sense found the dryer 240V heating but not the 120V tumbler.

Old washers with AC motors are likely detectable by Sense. New washers with electronic control of the DC motors used for pumps and the tumbler/spin control, probably won’t be detected. My new LG washer is a “hot mess” of transitions and I had to put it on an HS110:

I’m the same as Kevin. My circa 2000 dryer is gas, so I was surprised when Sense found something that used a lot of voltage. Investigation revealed the heating element. No motor though, so I put that on a HS110.

Your detection was what I saw in the device library. My new one is also an LG, a front loader, so I will put a plug on it and call it a day.

brian5… My late model Samsung washer and dryer were found. Front loaded on the washer. Electric dryer. Sense even picks up the reversing of the washer with the pause and show 1 watt before it starts in the opposite direction. Don’t remember how long it took to find them. I will get the models if you need… Not sure how you can look them up. I put the models in my app. My 2 cents…Gerry…

1 Like

My dryer was found but not my 3 year old Samsung front loader. I find it interesting that sense is picking up every little things on Fridges and AC units but not mine.

Sense has never found my 5 year old Samsung front load washer after 2-1/2 years since installation. I’m pretty sure it found all the parts of the dryer but absolutely no part of the dryer.

Sense found my old front-load washer (Whirlpool circa 2009) and my new washer (Maytag 2019) and built models for both. The pattern is pretty crazy, and the Sense native detection gets most of the usage, but not all the exact details. For example, if I run a steam wash, it doesn’t detect the usage of the steam heater. So I added a smartplug to the washer and now all of the detailed usage is captured.

1 Like

My sense has not found the Front load washer or dryer the unit has been running for two weeks.

Sense hasn’t found my washer at all and dryer not reliably after two years…patience!

My Sense found the dryer heating element, but not much more. But if you know a little about physics and electronics you’ll know why finding Ons and offs for the rest of the components of those devices is hard, especially with electronically (vs relay) controlled motors.

Same. I have a gas dryer and it found the ignition heating element, but not the motor. It’s an old “dumb” unit. No fancy screens, wifi, anything. Heat settings and that’s it. I was hoping the motor would get detected, but after a year, no dice. I put our new front load washer on a smart plug because I knew that would never get detected and just gave in and put the dryer back on one.

dick810… Sorry… But mine have been found… They are late model Samsung… Direct drive tub in washer. Electric dryer. I can get screen shots and models if you want. Next week. Washing is done so far this week. As far as how long did it take… I am going to say maybe a couple of months… Only wash once a week. … Copy from Dec '20 above…My late model Samsung washer and dryer were found. Front loaded on the washer. Electric dryer. Sense even picks up the reversing of the washer with the pause and show 1 watt before it starts in the opposite direction. Don’t remember how long it took to find them. I will get the models if you need…… My 2 cents… Gerry

Sure wish I could put my dryer on a smart plug too, but it’s electric, and for some reason Sense and its partners haven’t made 220v sensing unis available. Yes, I know they allow what had been a solar detector available for other monitoring, BUT, I have solar and I have a half dozen 220v circuits that aren’t detected properly.

Have you thought about CT clamps to monitor the circuit?

Um, CT clamps hooked to what?

Sense has failed to provide sensing for most 240 v devices, except for a lame solution for one circuit for those who don’t have solar…pretty useless. Sense STILL needs a 240v “wire in” for the vast number of devices that are 240v and non-detectable by Sense’s transition detection.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.