What was your first detected Device?

What was the first device detected and how long did it take ?

1 Like

It was the stage 1 compressor of my AC system. It was found in about 2 days.

1 Like

Ha that is funny…

Mine was the coffe maker after 1 day.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community… I posted a time history for my detection a while back, after I did a full reset of my Sense. One of my old AC units, a coffee maker, a microwave and a couple of my fridges were the first few native detections.

1 Like

My chest freezer, water heater, and ice maker were all detected after the first day.

1 Like

I believe mine was my fridge and it came within a few days.

1 Like

Yip, fridge, then hot tub, then microwave, most recently garage door.

All high draw, all run many times a day.

1 Like

My fridge was my first (and so far only - 10 days in) device. Detected after 2 days.

1 Like

Kevin, Do you actually have ~30 smart plugs? Or did you move them around from device to device as the devices were detected?

2 Likes

I do have 30 - 3 HS300s, plus 12 HS110s. I went above the recommended limit of 20, because I didn’t know that HS300s counted on a per outlet basis. Sense has since added more specific guidance. I have 65 detected devices in total, though a few of those are be redundant (Smartplug plus detection) or deprecated.

2 Likes

HVAC fan was my first. Not surprising since I have my Ecobee thermostat set to cycle the fan on for at least 10 out of every 60 minutes, so between that and regular HVAC cycles on top of that, it was a very regular on/off signature it was able to find ASAP.

2 Likes

Two properties with Sense, in both cases the basement dehumidifier was the first detected device. Don’t remember exactly when, but sometime in the first couple of days. Sense really likes seeing all those on/off cycles :slight_smile:

1 Like

New Sense user here, three days experience. First detection (first day) was the refrigerator interior light, which probably says something about how often we peer into the fridge. Second detection was the refrigerator compressor. Nothing yet on the third day.

Ha! And I thought I was being silly just having posted this:

I’m on the verge of posting some deeper analysis on my fridge, which is running on a smart plug AND it has an inline-Sense on it. It would probably be more interesting if I had a large family of peerers and an ice maker. These stressful food shopping times have made the fridge loading significantly more evident in the signature.

1 Like

Found the microwave first <2days> Has the orange community icon (I believe). however after detection it shows zero activity when I actually use the microwave. Same with the stove and dryer. Sense found and Named yet, when I turn on said device it doesn’t register as turned on in sense. Only the fridge at this point does that after it’s detection today.

Hey @SILVERNJA! The answer here is most likely that Sense needs more time to recognize the patterns from your microwave. Something similar happened when I set up my Sense - it recognized my dishwasher fairly quickly, but only the component that was active during start-up. It took a few weeks for the device to recognize components active throughout the entire dishwashing cycle.

Hello, new user here… Fridge.

Old school Amana fridge with no fancy anything, not even an ice maker. Don’t remember how many days, but just a couple. We were also having work done on the house and several of the saws they were using were detected almost immediately. I still haven’t deleted those but probably should. I’m surprised the saws were discovered, not because of their energy signature, but because I can’t think many people in this community are labeling miter saws.

I just had to swap Sense Monitors so I am starting all new for the 3rd time. I got a new fridge during the lock down so it will discover the compressor and the ice maker and the water dispenser anew. I will be interested to see if I am one of the crowd that shows the fridge as the first detected device as the new fridge has an inverter so it can spin the compressor at whatever speed it needs to cool correctly and it NEVER turns off. This is a feature so the compressor (which failed on our old new fridge) never wears out. When I first got the fridge I had it on a TP-Link, but it kept seeing the old water dispenser and ice maker, so perhaps very similar usage patterns. When I deleted/created a new account for the new Sense I pulled that TP-Link from the fridge so it’s gonna have to find it on its own.

I have not had Sense for 3.5 weeks. Expecting more to sneak in soon. But my first was our VERY old freezer. The freezer now has a smart plug. It also has the microwave, oven, main floor AC, upper floor AC, dryer. It also found a heat 2… but I cannot get it to turn on yet to figure it out.