What's new in v30 and Web App v11

What we’re showing can also be referred to as solar “self-consumption.” In short, we’re not just doing an end-of-day comparison between your total production and total consumption (in that case, you’d be right that your total consumption would be 100% covered). Instead, that “powered by solar” metric is telling you exactly, within that time window, how much of your actual consumption was covered by your solar production, rather than being sent back to the grid.

As a (way overly) simplified example: say you produced 10kWh during the daylight hours and consumed 5kWh during these hours and another 5kWh at night (a total consumption of 10kWh for the day). Only 5kWh would actually be covered by your solar production; the other 5kWh produced would be sent back to the grid as excess production and none of your night-time usage would actually be covered by your solar production.

I hope that adds some clarity! This information can then be used to better optimize your solar production. Maybe that 5kWh at night is being used to do all the dishes and the laundry? It’d be better to do that work during the day, when you have the excess solar production to cover it.

Love the update. Thanks!

Quick question, is there a way to get a webview or a widget of just this panel?

I’d love to use this status page for another project.

Ok I kind of assumed that was what it was showing but couldn’t really see the use in it. Maybe a way to toggle between that calculation and total % for the day would be nice. Really can’t see using the current “Self-consumption” percentage much but it is nice to see overall solar vs usage %. Just my take on it though.

I encourage folks to read https://syonyk.blogspot.com/2019/11/what-replaces-net-metering.html if you want to learn about the impact of solar on “the grid” and the ways that electric companies may do billing for solar companies now or in the future.

2 Likes

One more comment, why are the icon so, so small? Can you fatten them up a bit :grinning:?

While the “Powered by solar” value is helpful to some where Net Metering does not apply, and its also useful to see what amount of the power I generate is actually used by my home… it would be nice to see the “Offset by solar” or something to that effect.

Looking at yesterday, my “Powered by Solar” was only 10% while my “Offset by solar” was actually 37.9% (total production / usage)

My EV and family life, and Maryland Winter all account for low home power usage during winter daylight hours.

5 Likes

@ymilord
Glad you love it so much to want to use it elsewhere! No widget option at this time unfortunately.

@nlanzano and @MD-Stvartaks
Thanks for sharing. This sort of feedback is really valuable to us and we’ll continue to assess as more feedback comes in.

I found the information I was looking for on the solar tab after I posted the message. It looks like the consumption and generation numbers were both moved there. The new solar tab looks pretty useful.

There’s a plugin available for Home Assistant called power-wheel-card that is similar, but has three views: energy, power and money.

Depending on what you’re trying to do, you may be able to use some of this.

1 Like

An echo here: the new PV interface (Android) arrived at the same time as we energized our new PV array, doubling our capacity. I really like the view and data shown. Thanks for the clarification about “powered by solar”; I was puzzled too. And for others bemoaning the difficulty of time-of-use matching, at least here in the Northeast. PA net-metering is wonderful!

Yes, something like an “Offset by solar” percentage would be really nice! Since I have net metering, I can easily calculate it from the total production vs total usage that Sense already provides on the Solar tab. But it would be wonderful if the app would calculate it for us.

1 Like

Anyone else notice the v30 iOS app crashing occasionally? I never had v29 or earlier crash, and now since I’ve gone to v30, it has crashed on me 5-10 times.

Yes, the app has crashed about 5 plus times on me this past weekend. Crashed on both iPhone and iPad.

Also noticed that I’ve not been getting any Event notifications this weekend either.

@james_reilley @ken2 , thank you for mentioning the iOS crashes. We’ve seen this in crash reports from our monitoring tools as well. Our team is investigating.

1 Like

We’ve released v30.1 to the iOS app store. This addresses the issue of frequent crashes.

For the ipad app: This new version doesnt make any sounds when the bubbles appear and disappear.

Looking further, in the control panel, there is no longer a switch to turn sounds on or off.

This is on two different ipads running two different ios versions.

1 Like

Let me look further into this and get back to you.

Thanks for the quick fix.

1 Like

Pardon the delay.

We’ve removed the sound settings due a significant lack of use by our users. It’s possible we may implement some more advanced sound features in the future, but in the meantime, you can set individual notifications for when devices in your home turn on and off. Based on your iOS (or Android) settings, those notifications can trigger sounds via push notifications.

We’ve just released v30.1 to the Android Play Store. This includes some small bug fixes and now allows you to input decimal numbers in your System Specs.