Yet Another Local Feature Request -- UDP Broadcast

It would be awesome to be able to get basic data locally. Just the readings from the CTs (mains and solar). It doesn’t need to be a rest call. Just sending a UDP broadcast packet once every few seconds with the CT readings really would be sufficient. And the plus side is that sending a broadcast UDP packet would be a very low requirement for Sense–just like the smart plug query but without needing to process responses. Very deterministic overhead.

Please, please, please. Thank you for you time.

4 Likes

I would like to re-raise this request. Requesting a single UDP broadcast packet every few seconds with just the CT readings. Very minimal and deterministic, nothing else required.

The why: Current energy production (Solar CTs) and consumption (Mains CTs) is the essential starting point for automating power consumption. In my case, one of the big uses I have for these values is to automate charging of Teslas by setting the charge rate to match the amount of excess power from solar.

Currently, I do a lot of polling of Sense servers to pull just the Mains and Solar CT values, and it would be really desirable to avoid this. It would also allow for better real-time decision making.

Thank you for your attention.

4 Likes

Yes, another vote for this. A simple and lightweight UDP broadcast with key information such as system voltage and current readings would be very helpful to enable custom applications.

2 Likes

Are you talking pure CT measurements or the 7 readings in the Signals section ?

What I view as the essential need is current energy consumption (active_power in the API) and current solar production (active_solar_power in the API).

That said, if it is easier for Sense to just send the signals, I’ll take what I can get and calculate the rest.

Watts, amps, voltage. Pick any two. :slight_smile:

1 Like