Voltage discrepancy fix just deployed - let us know if you still see issues

How do I determine my monitor firmware? Is that what is shown on the about screen on the app?

Mine says;

Version: 1.6.1-b739571
Build: 1104

I was actually talking about when you go to settings and then click on “Sense Monitor”. In the top section you will see status, then serial, then version. Mine is currently 1.1.1353

Oh I see now. Mine also says 1.1.1353

Measured 120.3 and 120.5; sense says 117.7 and 117.5

What’s the Version on the about page then, I wonder? Mine is 1.3.6-7283bdb.

In the monitor section mine is also 1.1.1353.

Mine is the same as yours on that page

Are you guys on android? I wonder if that is a difference between version numbers on IOS and android.

For reference Ive only tried sense on IOS.

Can a customer who can reproduce the problem with both iOS and Android devices please take a look?

Just called it up on both my droid tablet and my iPhone and they both show my voltages at 121.7 and 121.6 right now. Don’t have a multimeter handy but both of my UPS devices that are on separate legs are showing 121 volts input - so it is very close.

1 Like

Ive got an Android phone. I assume its probably the same on there but Ill check when I get home. u/Howard seems to have already checked on his though.

Just wanted to provide an update on this, for posterity. I know the Sense team continues to work on this, for which I’m thankful :slight_smile:

Last week, I got some replacement components in and installed them fresh. After some hoops, it’s stable and reporting steadily. However, unlike mc.mbjones, my readings are still significantly underreporting - and are not significantly different from before “the fix.” Today was a banner sun day (a welcome relief from the past weeks storms), and my inverter and meter reported 34.96kwh, while sense reported 32.8kwh. (93.5%, which is virtually the same as pre-fix). I’m still working on the usage side of things to see how that’s faring.

About the only thing left to troubleshoot are my solar CTs, everything else has been replaced. That, or some glitch in the software…or my particular setup. I guess I’m not sure what extrinsic factors might even go into resulting in such an error. :frowning:

Again, the sense team is working on this as far as I know. I was just posting to see how extensive the issue might be and maybe help expedite a solution if we’re able to compare the accurate installs to those that are inaccurate.

2 Likes

Root cause analysis isn’t easy - it’s often like peeling an onion. What seems like a single monolithic problem often has multiple causes, states, or conditions and it takes time to find and fix them all.

1 Like

I’m starting to see that - Alex emails me regularly with items they’ve identified hoping it’s the ultimate correction, but no luck so far. It’s odd that it’s persisted through two different devices, the only consistency has been the solar CTs which we carried over. I really want to believe it’s something simple and easily solved - like a physical defect in the CTs or something.

For example - I’ve inadvertently seen what happens when the device is reading and the clamps aren’t closed completely. If there’s a defect in the solar clamps that is somehow affecting its reading and calibration? Like they aren’t closing correctly, etc? Wouldn’t that be a hoot if we spent all this time trying to track down a software problem and it winds up being a hardware problem? “hoot” being relative :slight_smile:

Morning, Rhoda,
Just in case this hasn’t been caught yet :slight_smile: I’ve figured out exactly where my discrepancies are coming from. The voltage fix seems like it hasn’t completely transferred over to the solar side of the equation. My errors are coming entirely from daytime readings, and can be entirely explained by errors in the calculations from the solar CTs. Posted this in another thread, but adding another day’s worth of data here. I can reliably predict what the raw error values will be during the day after reading my meters, but one of the benefits of Sense I hope will be that I don’t have to read my meters any longer :slight_smile:

I too am getting different readings from Sense compared to what my inverters are reporting.

My Sense came online on the afternoon of Friday, December 2nd.

My new Micro Inverter gateway firmware was deployed to my 24 panel array on December 11th, and to my 56 panel array on December 14th. So while all 80 panels were producing during the month of December, I only captured the production amount reported by my gateways from the middle of the month where Sense captured it for the entire month.

Anyway, my gateways reports December and January production of 834kWh and 825kWh, respectively, where the Sense reported 965kWh and 1060kWh.

Looking at just the January numbers since both methods of capturing production collected for the entire month, Sense reported 235kWh more than my inverters did. And this is before subtracting loads in my sub-panel that the Solar CTs are connected to. Once you subtract that, the Sense readings are even higher.

One thing I would check - Peter, is your meters to see exactly what they’re reporting as well. It sounds like your setup is a little more complicated than mine, but one thing I noticed is that my SolarEdge inverter is reporting about 2-3% over what my physical meters are reporting. Our utility doesn’t care what SolarEdge says, obviously, they care what the meter says.

Your situation sounds a little more askew than mine, but I would first have a look at what your meters are telling you if you can.

So I have this spreadsheet where I track my stats from the POCO. Here it is:

Looking at my latest bill online, it looks like my net usage for the period 12/8/2016 - 1/7/2017 was 1541 kWh.

Looking at my Sense stats, I have:

So net usage for December was 1,407 kWh and for January is was 1,719 kWh.

The numbers appear to be in the ballpark I suppose, but I would like to reconcile them.

Some of the LCD digits on my meter are busted, but here’s the current reading:

So it looks like 61,505 kWh perhaps? I’ll make a point of reading the meter and noting the value on the 1st of each month going forward.

See my post upstream, I spent a lot of time checking the meter at dawn and dusk, and painstakingly adding up the sense numbers in order to solve my problem - which I have to assume is one that spans all solar Sense units. I hope a fix would come in the next week or so, but keep an eye out for an update and then maybe start paying as close attention as you can to your meter and sense readings to see how they compare… Monthly is OK, but imprecise obviously.

Just a thought here. I have a 12 kWh Enphase 50 microinverter system. The inverters report the production to a unit that sends the numbers to the web. Sense sees roughly 3% less production that Enphase reports, but my thought would be that this might be attributed to line loss or inefficiencies. One other thing. When there is no solar production, Sense shows 6 to 7 watts being produced, but my guess would be that those numbers actually represent the power being consumed by the microinverter array as it waits to sync solar production to the grid.

I logged into my POCO website where I can get daily meter readings. I did the below table for January.

Unfortunately, Sense won’t let me go back further than 25 days on the daily usage stats, not sure why as the amount of actual storage this takes up should be minuscule.

The POCO obviously has some issues on 1/25 and 1/26. I got a call into them to get that adjusted. If you subtract 50,000 from the meter readings, you get variances of 1 and 2 for those days. Looks like an issue with their software.

Also, the POCO billing software does not allow for negative readings, which is why the variance is pretty high on 1/18 and 1/19. Not sure why it did not subtract 50,000 on that day.

My panels were covered with snow on 1/15, which is why the reading is negative. That -4 kWh is what was consumed by the switch, solar gateways, wireless link, and the air compressor coming on once or twice the maintain the pressure in the holding tank at the shop 200’ away from the house.

So when discarding those dates, my average variance is 0.35 kWh per day, a rounding error. In my case it might be that the slight always on usage I have in the shop sub-panel that the Solar CTs is monitoring, is perfectly off-setting the otherwise slightly higher solar production I would have seen.

Just looked over my numbers for January and it looks like compared to my meters Sense over reported my solar production by about 6.2%