Washing Machine

Sense is better at detecting some devices vs others right now, but the more data we have, the better we will be able to identify these kinds of devices. Variable speed motors can be more difficult, but Sense is capable of detecting them!

1 Like

Ben, those of us that have been using Sense for some time understand the difficulty in finding certain items. The question is has Sense actually found Inverter and ECM motors yet? If so, what brands. I donā€™t recall anyone having any of these recognized.

Neither washer not dryer. They run a lot, and itā€™s been months :frowning:

Howard, I canā€™t get into specifics about the status of different motor detections, but I can say that these are motor types that Sense is capable of identifying, and that the Sense team is working on improving the detection of.

3 Likes

That is great news, I am very surprised to hear this - especially since in six months it did not pick up my two ECM HVAC motors now my washing machine.

1 Like

We have a top loading LG washer, that Sense has not detected.
We have a Bosch Nexxt Premium Gas Dryer. I have two devices for that. It knows when the motor is running, but it also figured out the ignition cycle for the Natural Gas igniter. It kicks on for 18 seconds or so numerous times during normal drying. Each time it draws 365 watts. I am thinking about contacting Bosch to see if this is normal behavior.

1 Like

Still have not found my Electrolux washer but the my Electrolux Gas dryer igniter has similar behavior to dornbackā€™s.

450W for about 11seconds to ignite the flame almost every minute. If Iā€™m standing next to the dryer I can hear the cycle of the gas valve clicks, igniter and flame repeating to maintain the temperature threshold. Almost sounds like the pace increases towards the end of the drying cycle.

My Sense has been running for 9 months and has not found my Samsung Washer. It has found my Samsung Electric Dryer as 3 different Dryers for each of the 3 modes I use (touch-up, normal and timed dry).

@jeffman5150, sorry to hear that your Washer hasnā€™t been detected yet! Unfortunately, it sounds like a model that Sense isnā€™t great at detecting yet.

With regards to your dryer, we are working on device merging functionality that will allow you to merge those 3 different dryers into 1 device.

1 Like

What brand is your washer and what design is it(top or front load)?

Kenmore, top load. +/-10 years old. 3 speed motor not variable speed.

1 Like

Has anyoneā€™s Sense detected a Whirlpool Duet washer? Ours is 13 years old and they sold a lot of them so I would have expected it to have been detected by nowā€¦

I have a Duet about the same age and it was detected after two months. Then it stopped being detected and I only see it occasionally.
Just another sign that Sense is not ready for the public!

Iā€™ve got an LG inverter drive washer that is about six years old - I just checked and it is still downstairs even though Sense is fairly certain I donā€™t have one :slight_smile:

My Duet electric dryer has never been detected after 3 months. It is only used 2 times each week, apparently not frequently enough for Sense!

I had one when we lived in South Africa. Unless you have a drain for the condenser, itā€™s kind of a pain to have to constantly empty it.

Nope - no washing machine for us. Thereā€™s so many unique electrical processes that vary depending on cycle, I doubt itā€™ll ever find it.

Weā€™ve LOTS of high consumption and relatively frequent use electric appliances, including washer, dryer, electric stove top, electric ovens, but Sense doesnā€™t seem able to ā€œsenseā€ any of themā€¦.after five and a half months. Weā€™ve begun calling it our ā€œnon-senseā€.

Samsung Washer detected after 11 days of Sense install. The washer is top load with digital inverter.