2 Senses on 1 Account or Account Switching

I don’t think the Sense team has any plans to opensource the code. I can’t speak on their behalf, but I’ve seen the issue come up once before and it was a “no”. API’s are much different and access to the API, while unofficial, does exist.

1 Like

@DevOpsTodd Yep, I’m specifically referring to supporting access to API’s for third parties to consume the data. Is there an unofficial API documentation somewhere?

Unofficial API for Python here. It only gives access to current measured state, so you will need to poll and store yourself.

If you want ready-built sampling, time series data storage and data querying and charting, you might want to set up Home Assistant with Influxdb and Grafana, using the off-the-shelf Sense integration.

5 Likes

I have a 400 amp split service that has 2 solar inverters. I also have a second residence that has its own service and internet.

Does sense I plan to allow the end user to group multiple sense monitors under one account? I would like to buy more sense products but the management isn’t optimal or scalable.

I own two homes - primary and a vacation home. I would like to easily switch between the two monitors in the app.

2 Likes

Any luck on separate monitoring of a 2nd (on the property) dwelling? I setup my 2nd pair of sensors onto the feeds of the 2nd dwelling, but the reality is I cannot differentiate what devices are on the 2nd dwelling, which is not as important as getting a total consumption of the 2nd dwelling. If a separate dashboard isn’t possible at this time, would setting up the the 2nd dwelling (feed) as a specific branch monitoring (ie HVAC unit) do the trick for total consumption? Any suggestions or feedback would be great. Thanks.

This would work, but Sense would see the branch circuit as one total device.

@kevin1 also shared his project with Home Assistant in an earlier comment where he has connected two separate Sense monitors into his Home Assistant account.

1 Like

Just see you can see what it looks like, here’s a dual Sense monitor plot out of Home Assistant. My main Sense collects all the data for my house including Solar Production. I use a second Sense solely for 2 DCM (direct circuit monitoring) sensors for my Model 3 charger and for my floor heating loops. This plot overlays the biggest energy users in my house against Total Usage.

The 48 hour plot from this morning shows that Sense is not behaving at its best for native (non-DCM) Model S charging detections. It shortened one charging session and failed to pick up a couple others, but often it does far better. But the main point here is that Home Assistant is a fairly turnkey way of overlaying multiple Sense accounts, plus doing other interesting stuff.

1 Like

Great, thanks for the information

FYI - Home Assistant will also let you mix HVAC control with Sense data. Here’s my upstairs Ecobee temperature and control data overlaid with Sense energy usage for my upstairs HVAC (furnace, AC).

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting years for this functionality.
I will be buying 2 more units once I’m able to combine multiple units into one account.

1 Like

I’m about to buy a second vacation home, I’m with the group who doesn’t want to combine data, I just want one login where I can then select the home I want and I’ll see all that home’s app experience. Two emails and logins seem unnecessarily difficult. Just some sort of “change home” button to toggle between the two. Thanks!

eero does this well in their app. I manage my parents’ and my mother-in-law’s Wi-Fi for them. Within the eero app my one login can “change networks” and view everything associated with my parents’ setup or my MIL’s setup.

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity … has anyone tried this on an Andriod phone? You can download app’s more than once then sign-in with different accounts (different emails) to each.

I dealt with a similar issue when a user with using MFA and Outlook on iOS only allows you one profile, so if they have 2 or more email accounts that require each MFA, it’s not possible on IOS devices. But then android users can just download outlook multiple times.

Adding support for this idea here because the two wishlist threads (here and here) that more accurately describe what I need are closed. My house and my shop are roughly equal consumers of electricity for us, but they’re on their own circuits split off from the main (which is inaccessible), so if I were to buy a second Sense for the shop I could only see what’s going on in one place at a time. If I’m trying to get a handle on our total electricity usage, getting only half the picture at a time is less than helpful and I want to see everything all at once – in one place with no app/tab switching – so I’m looking for the “two Senses on one account” part of this wishlist item and not the account switching that at least some here would settle for. I know my use case doesn’t make the 80/20 and so I’m not holding my breath, especially given that one of those threads goes back more than five years, but a lad can dream.

I’m aware of the Home Assistant workaround that’s been suggested here and elsewhere, but I simply want a single pane of glass (via the Sense app/website, not a homebrew setup that requires either a VPN or a hole in my firewall to access) for monitoring usage no matter where I am – on my phone or computer, home network or sitting at a coffee shop. I want to make our lives simpler and more efficient, not set up yet another device that needs to be maintained.

As a P.S., I’ll also add that since someone has been able to figure out how to combine data from multiple Senses using the API and third-party software, it seems like something the actual product developers with intimate knowledge of the hardware and software shouldn’t have a hard time implementing.

I think it’s been suggested before, but you can always view a couple (or more) browser windows using either multiple app instances or different browser apps (Chrome/Firefox/Safari) logged in to different accounts.

It helps to have different Settings > General > Appearance > Themes, colors.

I sometimes do that with 3 different monitors.

Thats great for browsing but doesn’t help with notifications and alerts. I’m still at a loss for why this is so hard to do. We’re not asking for combined stats, just multiple accounts bound to the app.

* I’m asking for combined stats. For my use case, having two separate Senses that I can only look at individually without combined stats makes little sense (slight pun intended). The whole point (again, for my use case) is to get the full picture of our power usage in a single place.

Not saying my situation is the norm – just the opposite, really; I know it’s at least somewhat an edge case. But I do want to be clear that not all of us are happy to bounce between multiple instances for a single household, even within the same account, and instead really do want combined stats, which really shouldn’t be difficult once multiple devices can be connected to an account. Then it’s essentially just simple math to get things like totals and percentages and to display the two devices as a single entity within the Sense app and web UI.

2 Likes

I am also starting to get concerned about the long term viability of this company. They claim to have AI experts to sniff out devices on the power line and suggest to you (btw it has not been as successful for me) but they cannot solve a simple problem of aggregating multiple units on ONE account. BTW I have a 800 Amps main with with sub-panels each with a Sense Monitor as the mains is too big for their units!

I have had this for over 18 months now and it has been horrible to maintain 4 accounts on 4 logins and so even the device discovery has been lagging partly due to my neglect and partly due to having to deal with so many accounts.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the company if the Smart AI folks cannot figure out how to do this simple stuff. May be they should partner with Apple, Google, Control-4, Savant or such home automation companies to help get this resolved thru others applications.

Would love for their CEO to personally comment on this since people have been asking about it for years.

1 Like

I’m not so worried about Sense viability, given their telegraphed expansions via Landis & Gyr and Schneider/Square D, but those growth paths are probably better aligned with a single Sense unit per house model. Homes typically only have a single meter (Landis + Gyr) and main panel (Square D), so any Sense technology injected into either of those would fit the current model.

A few of us have pulled so together some info on the Landis + Gyr partnership here:

ps: In your case, I would suggest using Home Assistant to roll-up the Sense data from all 4 subpanels. I believe the new Home Assistant Energy dashboard can pretty much automatically aggregate data from all four sources.

2 Likes