7 weeks in, first accurate device -- how's that compare?

OK, so I’ll just take your graph at face value, then :slight_smile: it really doesn’t look overly complicated, or like anything is hooked up incorrectly as far as I can tell. There is a bit of a jittery background, though - do you have an always on computer or something? It sorta looks like mine when the TV is on. Maybe it’s just compressed 24hr vs my 12hr.

There are definite surge spikes that should be getting picked up - I could probably guess on some of them but for whatever reason Sense is having more difficulty.

Your case might be a good scenario for Sense to take a hard look at, to try to identify factors which make appliance identification difficult, contrasting your home with a home where identification has gone comparatively smoother.

I wonder what would happen if you d/c’d the solar clips - did you go through calibration already when you first got set up (even though your inverter was down)? Not that I’d recommend calibrating now, just curious if you had gone through that process or not.

I have two “always-on” computers, but they’re Macs, which draw 2-3 watts when sleeping, way below Sense detection capability. Attached pic is close up of the jitter. My guess is that it’s my hydronic heating pump, which runs ~20 watts for a few minutes every 5-15 minutes, depending on house temperature.

I did calibrate the Solar. My inverter problem started a few days after Sense was running. In the brief period everything was working, I verified that Sense was correctly measuring Solar. There’s zero current in the solar circuit now, so disconnecting CT’s can’t have any effect.

Today I discovered Sense sees my microwave, though as two devices, since its 240v.

opps, here’s the screenshot I meant to include

Glad your microwave seems to have shown up. I hope that Sense is following all of this data on as many devices as possible - it’ll be important in helping them find their target market and at least let customers know what factors might be making discovery difficult so no one is surprised by slow performance.

I’ve had my sense monitor installed for about 36 hours. It has identified a coffee maker and one of my refrigerators already. I have two refrigerators and one freezer. It’s currently learning a fridge. My daughter used the stove tonight and it now shows learning a possible stove. It’s a double stove unit so I’m interested to see if it can detect them individually.

I have a few devices that are always on such as an ERV, Windows 7 Media Center, Cable Modem, Access Points. Hopefully, sense will be able to separate out these always on devices in the future. An inexpensive sense helper/companion device that you could plug in these always on devices might be a useful option to identify them.

I’m very happy so far with how sense is working.

1 Like

2.5 days in and sense has identified two of my refrigerators…Actually one is a fridge and one is a freezer but it consistently detects when they are on and when they go off. My other fridge hasn’t been detected yet but it has PWM controlled, variable speed motor which typically runs constantly but at a very low speed. It may be detected as part of always on. Not sure yet as it’s still too soon to know. Haven’t used my stove again so Sense hasn’t made any progress with it. It detected a motor and heat while I was away so I’m not sure if it is one of my two furnaces, heat pump or CatGenie litter box. I don’t have anything else that would consume that much power automatically.

Almost 48 hours since installation and Sense has detected three devices; Heat 1, Motor 1 and Motor 2. Motor 2 was quickly revised by Sense to be identified as a garage door, so I labeled it as such. We have two garage door openers and the one that had been used was the smaller of the two (3 car garage, 1 two bay door and a 1 bay door). Some time later I opened the large door to see if Motor 1 was the other door and lo and behold it indicated that the small garage door was active. Both door openers use exactly the same make and model, so clearly Sense hasn’t been able to differentiate between the two yet. So I’m patiently waiting for Motor 1 to identify itself. I think it’s the sump pump but I have to wait and see.

It’s clear to me that this is going to be a long process and I’m fine with that. I expect it to take as long as a year to identify the majority of the devices in our house. For now I carry my iPhone with me as I move around the house with the Sense app open and running. It will likely change certain habits over time as I become more energy consumption aware. This morning after seeing a jump in consumption when I turned the bathroom lights on, I concluded that I didn’t need ALL the lights in the bathroom on while I showered and turning off 2 fixtures with 3 bulbs each saved 2-300 watts for that time period. I barely noticed that they weren’t on. So in some small (micro cents) way Sense is already earning its keep.

I feel like we’re at the cutting edge of something here and am happy to be a part of it and to contribute in any way I can. I imagine that the people at Sense are learning as we are and so feedback positively given will help them achieve the quicker better more accurate results we’re all looking for.

1 Like

It’s looking like as the number of users increases, device detection speeds up. Three things in 48hrs is worlds better than the early adopters had it.

Change over to leds and see how that cuts your bathroom usage!

No doubt. We’re about 50/50 CFL and LED at the moment, with CFLs and the now-rare incandescent being replaced by LEDs as they burn out. Changing a light bulb is becoming a less and less frequent chore in the house as of the last few years.

Speaking of early adopters, I noticed that my Sense is serial number xxxx3xx. Have less than 400 of these been sold?

I think they’re well beyond that. One approximate estimate would have been your order number. Mine was 4430 back in August, delivered in November.

A recent solar ct replacement in early February was 8719…so at least some small fraction of orders are solar cts… I’d guess they’re probably nearing 9-10,000 units in the wild by now.

Mine is 9550 (the last 4 digits of the PO Number, a number I never gave them) or 10290 which is the Reference Number. So all indications are some number near 10,000.

3 weeks in and I think my Sense device detection has stalled. I have 7 devices that were all detected during week 1. One motor was triggering for both my table saw and my miter saw. It’s been 13 days since I used them. I used them yesterday and neither trigger that device in sense anymore. I have a microwave that’s been learning for over 2 weeks now but is detected while running. I have a possible oven that’s been a very tiny little black bar for over 2 weeks. I’m not sure what’s going on but something doesn’t seem right. It’s almost like everything was good until I enabled network device detection.

fwiw, mine has not done anything new or interesting in the last few weeks.

So in summary, it did nothing intelligent in the first 6 weeks. Between 6 and 9 weeks it semi-accurately learned 4-5 devices, and between weeks 9 and 12 didn’t do much else.

$300 wasn’t that big of a “donation” to an interesting idea, so no major regrets, but now past the initial optimistic curiosity phase, to be honest it’s utterly useless.

I am 4 weeks in and have had 0 devices detected. I am looking at the Sense system as an experiment also and expect it to take some time. Tech support appears to be getting better. Not sure I would put too much faith in sequential numbering as some times they are assigned in blocks. The last four digits may have more meaningful attribution to customer count. My guess would be under a thousand.