Add more CTs

With @kevin1 and @ixu admiring your work, there was no way I wasn’t going to go have a look. For some reason I get just a blank page.

Sam: Strange. Still seems to be working for me.
An “ElectricityUsage” link comes up first. You click that and get an “Irene and Duane” link. Click that and you can start seeing our house.
What browser are you using? Any Errors? Actually, this probably isn’t the place to discuss it. If it still doesn’t work we can discuss it privately, if you’re willing.

ixu: The stack is Curb’s idea. I liked it and just added the smart plugs in.
IIRC, I did have some problems with wrong CT’s. The smart plugs can give a bogus reading every so often. And Curb sometimes misses reporting some data. All of those can cause negative data. I intend to have an option to sanitize those away, but I do generally want to not cover up data issues. In fact, it took me a while to get the negatives to plot properly.

I do not intend to publish a picture of the mess that is our panel. Ever.

1 Like

@samwooly1- you need to push down two layers through the links… Here’s a more direct link:

http://duanetiemann.com/ElectricityUsage/Chart.html?Title=Irene%20and%20Duane&DataDir=IreneAndDuane

2 Likes

I was tempted to make a new feature request for a “Sense+” or maybe “Sense Companion” product but after reading this if feels more appropriate here. I envision the Sense+ Companion as either the same exact existing hardware or a slightly streamlined version with a few extra CT sockets and maybe smaller size. It seems with a modified firmware the existing hardware could be transformed into a Sense+ Companion unit to add the extra CT functionality desired above. This could potentially address issues I’ve seen in other threads as well with multiple feeds to the same house as well as the issue above about monitoring higher draw circuits, 240v loads etc. In my case one of my biggest issues is my RV. I have a large high amperage circuit run to my RV but there is no way to capture my RV as a single device without a CT on that 240v breaker. Instead every device in the RV (Stove, AC, Water Heater, Etc) either falls under “other” or is going to be detected as another device in my house.

With the extra processing power and granularity of the companion unit Sense could also potentially start to support sub-loads. In my RV example it could analyze the RV circuit by itself to bother report the RV load in my house but also identify the individual loads within the RV and since it knows they are part of the RV circuit report them as sub-loads. This could also be useful for people with the problem like I read about each burner and the oven in an electric range being detected separably. With a Sense+ on that line it can report the stove as a whole but also report the oven and burners as additional sub-loads. I think this really is the best way forward for Sense to really take their product to the next level providing deeper insight into whats going on in a home.

I understand Sense is a small company and can’t necessarily easily release entire new hardware platforms like a Sense + Mini or whatever but simply starting with a regular Sense and throwing some modified firmware on it to make it a Sense+ Companion seams like a great way to address multiple feature requests I see all over this site while keeping the developer investment and existing hardware investments relevant.

If this is better suited as a topic on it’s own please let me know and I’ll adjust.

1 Like

There’s a healthy distribution of threads/comments along these lines. It’s not necessarily easy to figure out where to post sometimes! Throw it somewhere and moderators will weigh in … and move things around if necessary.

My terminology was a little different: Sense Sub.
“Sense+” / “Sense Companion” could also amuse as “Sense Minus” / “Sense Sidekick”

1 Like

Agreed,
I see this particular approach as a real possibility to effectively Address numerous issues and feature requests together and in my opinion really push this into a whole new level.

And for the record if any of the Sense admins are looking I’m a good beta / product tester :wink:

1 Like

Pondering this, here’s a tangential thought for a cyber security wonk:

Consider Sense Plus as more like a multi-camera surveillance interface, i.e software.
While we’re at it, I want TP-Link Kasa, Wemo & Hue in there as well.
Screens full of data!

As for the required “standards”: The IP camera world has ONVIF. The equivalent for the Sense realm would be pretty sweet.

Now I have to go read that book @ben recommends …

Open APIs are the closest your going to get to that sort of standard. The IOT world is currently too far from standardized but a growing number of developers are releasing open API to allow the developed of on product say Sense to use the APIs of another product say Nest to tie the functions that logically work together like maybe equating Nest sending the activation to the furnace and looking for the correlating increase in power draw. This isn’t universal however as Honeywell, Iris, and several others may have the same data but different APIs leaving developers to pick the stuff that the most people will benefit from.

This a a bit of a tangent, but Sense already leverages the Ecobee API to pull in historic data to provide feedback to their HVAC models. They likely would have had similar for Nest Thermostats if Google hadn’t decided to do a master reset on the Nest API to integrate into Google Home infrastructure. But them’s the breaks for acquired APIs, even if dozens of other companies integrated using the deprecated API.

Without trying to tunnel too deep through the various abstraction layers beneath the Sense interface (that would include the API), what I was alluding to in the “multi-camera surveillance interface” is that Sense, as is, has a web interface for most functions. The desire for more CTs and more hardware variations can, theoretically, be approximated by having multiple existing Sense devices and a better aggregated interface. Adding another abstraction layer, e.g. a Zoom-like Brady Bunch-o Senses GUI, while less than ideal, is a possible approach.

I’ve got 2 Sense devices and I access them in this way. I need excuses for 7 more I suppose to be motivate toward a more grandiose interface and data aggregation.

1 Like

I totally agree, I currently have 2 heat pumps and they are variable speed and sense can’t display the correct data.
Wished they could come up with additional CT’s that could be placed on loads like that and have the data merged into the main sense unit.

1 Like

Funny enough, I just responded to a nearly identical request in one of the Sense Facebook groups regarding add-on sensors, so I’m going to share that same response below!

You can actually use Flex Add-on sensors with Dedicated Circuit Monitoring to monitor up to 2 120V/240V breakers in your panel. We strongly recommend DCM for anyone that is looking for immediate insights into dedicated circuit appliances in their home. You can learn more about Flex Add-on sensors here: https://blog.sense.com/sense-gets-flexible-with-flex-add…/

This thread has been closed due to the release of Dedicated Circuit Monitoring, which allows you to directly monitor up to 2 120V/240V dedicated breakers in your electrical panel.

You can find more information about Dedicated Circuit Monitoring and other flex add-on sensor features here: