Any plans for more supported outlets/plugs?

While I agree and understand the challenge that Zwave and Zigbee devices don’t report power fast enough for Sense, I’d really like to see an API for say Hubitat to tell Sense that a particular device turned on or off in hopes of improving the detection of additional devices or validation something is indeed on or off. I have far too many watts in the other bubble and becoming increasingly frustrated with Sense. Been a user for 11 months and only have 26 devices and many are no longer reporting…

Devices that were detected no longer report or devices that do work are somehow reporting power from another device. My Samsung TV used to show usage from the lan detection but no longer works and Support said they are aware yet months later still broken.

3 Likes

Any hints on the forthcoming SmartThings power monitoring capabilities ?? Don’t see anything on the website or forum…

3 Likes

I see a certain irony in injecting energy monitoring data into powerline ethernet as a way to overcome the trashy wifi problems.

Personally I want everything to go PoE+ and so all devices would be <<100W and energy monitored at the switch … it sets a challenging bar for HVAC and Oven makers but today’s kWhrs are definitely tomorrow’s watt-hours.

5 Likes

Even with the delay in reports from zwave and zigbee Sense should be able to identify devices a lot easier with this integration. They don’t need to use the device to monitor usage. They could use the device for verification. I’m not worried about triggering and automations. I rather use the integration as a way to speed up identification. Having the ability to add sense to action tiles and other smart hubs is just a plus. Being that you would see real time usage in one app.

2 Likes

+1 mentioned this before. Hopefully it’s something they can do. Some equipment would be worth the price of a dedicated sense especially with the diagnostics they’ve started offering.

2 Likes

With a little (or a lot) of planning, Sense could make there own smart plug that did a monitor like analysis in the plug, communicated when device goes on, collect data for awhile (say five minutes) or until off, send the data to an updated monitor (new firmware). This would save bandwidth and they might even send the plug data directly to sense, depending on how it is integrated.

Come on Sense, think a bit our of your current box! Distributed processing is a good thing!

Further the smart plug could be built around one of the very low power CPU’s that have analog capability built in (or a chip pair - they are now quite small) and do it’s power measurements across a small resistor using firmware that … you can see where I am going, cheap hardware that is far more capable (smarter) than the current bunch and is well integrated into the Sense monitor/server system. Usually the processor familys (think ARM) maintain firmware compatibility with newer models.

2 Likes

Swidget May be the way to go. They are a young company but they are making modular zwave smart outlets. That replace your old dumb outlets. What’s nice about them is they sell the build your own kit. So you can make your own device for the insert.

As I was typing this I checked there page. And they offer both zwave and wifi. This may be something to look into Sense. I just ordered a couple outlets.

1 Like

The HS110 is essentially no longer available. What remaining ones you find at Newegg are priced at $65. I know that some wifi ones on the market do not sample as fast as the HS110, but even a slow sampling will let us know when something is on and how much power it is using. They will be “good enough” for my use for some mostly constant on items.

Thanks!

1 Like

SmartThings makes a smart mini plug, much like kasa mini. But it also monitors energy.

2 Likes

Anything belkin I’ve ever purchased. Didn’t work well or at all. AndOr broke.

2 Likes

I just received a software update for my “Kasa Smart” app… and the release notes indicate: “added support for Kasa Smart Plug Mini with Energy Monitoring KP115”. This seems to be a new model number, and strongly indicates that Kasa is upgrading the HS110 to match their Mini plug (by now adding energy monitoring).

Based on prior experience: I assume the new model would be immediately compatible (or at least could easily be made compatible) with the Sense integration with the HS110s/etc.

For me: I’m excited about the possibilities of swapping out some of my big-ole HS110s with some svelte new KP115s! :wink: :grin:

7 Likes

Yup - looks like a KP115 is coming. FCC certification underway.
https://fccid.io/TE7KP115/

https://fccid.io/TE7KP115/User-Manual/5-Users-Manual-4809060.pdf

5 Likes

Well jeez, then why did I do all that work on ESPSense?! (/s)

Nice to see it’ll be low profile, and always good to have more UL-rated (I’m assuming) options!

2 Likes

Shelly Plugs now have a US version. I can’t post a link but Google will find it.

At $12 each how can I go wrong? They’ll integrate with my Home Assistant setup no doubt, and get exported via SenseLink TP-Link emulation easily enough.

2 Likes

From what I’m finding about the Shelly EM devices, they are ESP based. I don’t know if these new plugs can be opened easily but if they can and you don’t like the cloud integration, you could flash them with ESPSense and send usage directly to Sense. If you like them as is, SenseLink is the way to go.

1 Like

Good to see these new TPLInk plugs coming up. Hopefully they’re “unofficially” 240V capable like the HS110’s were. :wink:

1 Like

I get that but my smart plugs are some of the only monitoring that I trust as being accurate

1 Like

If you absolutely need your own model of Smartplug and it has a reasonable API you might want to consider a DIY solution like this:

2 Likes

The KP115 looks like the first true contender … embrace the OEMs!

6 Likes

Just want to echo the request for SmartThings WiFi plug support. I’m not going to switch my entire ST install over to TP-Link or Wemo, and absent any major improvements to the device detection algorithm (which I still would prefer to be prioritized), then ST smart plug support would be killer.

3 Likes