Detecting Electric Vehicle (EV) devices

device-detection
ev-chargers

I charge my EV with EVSE called OpenEVSE. As the name suggests it is an open software and hardware design. One option for the OpenEVSE is to add a WiFi Interface which can be asked how much current and how many wattseconds have been passed down the charging plug. Given all the difficulty in detecting the various turn on characteristics of EV charging systems, I think it would be very helpful if Sense could look at supporting the OpenEVSE charging interface and since most EV’s will need to supply their own EVSE for charging, this would provide a means for any EV to be detected reliably much like the recent support for the smart WiFi plugs.

How large is the userbase for OpenEVSE?

Earlier I was curious if the preconitioning an EV was picked up.

Now that my LEAF was detected, it currenty recognizes the start correctly of the preconitioning. However, it looks like sense doesn’t see the same charging pattern, and promptly turns the device off after a few seconds.

I noticed :-). It is picking up the Model 3 now very reliably. Thanks a lot. My Model X has also improved but this could still be better.

One year later, still nothing.

Same for me. What type EVSE are you using? Amps? What is your EV? What is your charging pattern? I am using a 6 amp - 32 amp variable charger from the UK. I have a MY2012 Chevy Volt and Tesla Model 3. I am still wondering if variable amperage is affecting my discovery. I have over 30 household devices discovered but like all of us with an EV, it is the primary reason for the Sense purchase. Still hangin in there.

A few weeks ago, my Tesla Model 3 was detected by Sense. I’ve had my Sense device installed for about 6 months, so I was very glad to see my Tesla detected. The monitoring has been reliable and consistent. Thanks Sense!

If you only use level 1 definitely pick up one of the supported smart plugs that are integrated into sense.

I’ll still only occasionally catch a blip when it will see the clarity for less than a second. Which EVSE are you using?

I use the ChargePoint Home (32A, 240V) EVSE with my Honda Clarity. Sense detects it fairly reliably when a charge starts and stops. However, it gets faked out when our Heat Pump also turns on or off while the Clarity is charging, typically erroneously reporting that the EV charger has stopped, and the EV bubble goes away and balloons the “Other” bubble. This is becoming quite common now that we are in the winter months. The heat pump and EV charger have similar energy draw while on, and I guess this fakes out Sense.

Thanks for the info, same EVSE and car, it’s so crazy how individualized device detection is. :slight_smile: