Detecting Electric Vehicle (EV) devices

4 posts were split to a new topic: Will Putting DCM On One of my Two AC Units, De-Conflate the Two?

The way they just ignore this topic completely, and once a year throw out the same, tired ‘you don’t understand’ resposne tells me they just don’t care and have no intention of providing general EV support. They’ve stuck so doggedly to this ‘learning model’ and refuse to consider anything else, we’ll likely never see our EV’s in Sense.

With EV sales accelerating faster and faster with each year, this response isn’t going to hold up as acceptable much longer. Electric Vehicles - US | Statista Market Forecast

1 Like

Not only the EV’s.
Solar is getting more popular, and in california since april of 2023, you need to install batteries in order to have a faster ROI (return on investment).
Hybrid inverters have become really popular (sol-ark/LuxPowertek/EG4).
Problem is that Sense doesn’t work with them, matter of choice of design.
It is a programming matter, but they plain refuse to do anything about it.
Sense once was a great startup, with a lot of potential.
I doubt they ever made a profit.
So they are in need of new rounds of funding every so often.
They should have been bought by a large company now that would have enough resources to continue development.
I think they are currently just scraping by and do the most obvious things, but there is simply no budget to really improve.

Imo, atm, sense is nothing but an advanced power meter with some extra’s if you have the right setup:
-conventional grid tied solar only
-a “supported” EV (I had a tesla Y charge at my location a couple of times, no detection yet!)

I have no more expectations that Sense will pull a rabbit out of it’s hat any time soon.
They simply are unable to it seems.

Oh well, it is what it is.

2 Likes

My Sense isn’t picking up my 1.2kw charger, even though it goes on at the same time every night, for the same amount of time, at the same wattage. It’s got to be one of the easiest things to detect. “A thing that always uses 1.2kw just turned on for the 7th time this week… HMMMM I WONDER IF THAT IS A DISCREET DEVICE OR NOT - BETTER PUT IT IN OTHER”

1 Like

@atwixtor,
A couple questions.

• How many days (on/offs) has Sense seen ? You mentioned a week - 7 on/offs are probably not enough to learn.
  • One other thing to be wary of - if the EV on/off ramps are longer than 2-3 seconds, they will fall outside the visible range of Sense’s AI “vision”. Sense does have ways of “seeing” a selection of longer ramp EV charging cycles, but the list of special EVs detections is somewhat limited and mostly focused of 240V level 2 charging cycles (4.8kW to 19.2kW). Not sure there is a special detection looking for the kind of charge you are talking about.

One more note - Sense doesn’t put your device in Other. It subtracts all the known detections from the Total Usage, and Other represents the leftover that isn’t accounted for.

I’ve had my Sense since July 2017, and my Chevy Volt since January 2018. I’m still hoping EVSE identification becomes a thing.

Detection of 240V charging for Bolt and Volt should be supported. But not 120V charging.

Have you pursued with support ?

I don’t recall if I’ve contacted support specifically about this. I’ve suspected that the AI would have a hard time differentiating the step changes of an EV charger from, say, a different 200W resistive device turning on every 2 seconds.

It’s interesting to learn that Sense’s AI is looking at a 1-2 second transition period (I didn’t know this). That explains why it can’t identify EVSE. I get that different chargers/manufacturers may have different charging profiles. Indeed, ours ramps up over 20 seconds.

I’d volunteer to help isolate EVSE data to help train the AI - both on and off.

With electrification EVs are increasingly becoming majority load in households, and an important data point that Sense should attempt to capture. I love my Sense, and want it to compete with SPAN panels (or the like). “Here is my charger. This is when it turned on. This is when it turned off. Please learn.”

Click into the link - there’s a longer discussion on EVs. Sense uses an additional set of algorithms to look for EVs, but each is customized for the specific waveforms during 240V changing. Volt and Bolt are supposed to be supported - that’s why I suggested talking to support, unless you are charging at 120V (not supported).

Any status on finding Hyundai plug in hybrids? Using 110v.

I could monitor the circuit in my garage to get idea my plug in hybrid. Would not be 100% clean as that circuit has garage door openers and a few lights. But the big user if by far the car. Would that make sense?

All of the existing detectors are focused on 240V charging, not 120V. Monitoring your garage circuit could work with DCM. Depending on charge wattage you could also use a Kasa KP115/125 plug up to 1.8kW (I think that’s the limit). I used a HS110 (outdated but still Sense-compatible) for my Ford Fusion Energi when I had it - only charged at 1.2kW.

1 Like

It works! I had an EP125 around. Had 2 units fail. One worked. I configured it to add to home. Opened Sense and it immediately said it found the devise. Plugged in the car and I’m up and running. It uses 1384W and the max is 1800 so all in spec and good.

2 Likes

That is a great option. I will try that. Have not connected to any smart plugs yet. Hopefully can work through that system. Appreciate the input.

Better keep an eye on it.
I am not a big supporter of charging EV through smart plugs.
Even though it seems you are within specs, imo dirty contacts, bend pins of the plug generate resistance and suddenly heat build-up → fire danger.
You are using 1384 watt = 11.5 amps for many hours a day.
If possible, use an infrared camera to keep an eye on temperature rises.
Not funny if this would be the cause of a fire.

1 Like