Device breakdown for a previous point in time?

I’d like to be able to look at a previous point in time and show the breakdown of what devices were on at that time. My particular use case is to figure out how much energy is being used by a device that Sense hasn’t discovered yet - in this case, the water heater. I can identify the point on the power meter timeline that the water heater turned on, but without know what other devices were on at that time I can’t deduce how much energy it’s using.

Have you spent much time in the Trends view? If you go to the Usage card, you should be able to do this. You can just swipe left to see previous days, weeks, months, years, or billing cycles and the device breakdown can be seen below the graph.

I’ll also acknowledge that I may be missing something from your request.

1 Like

Ryan, from what I can see, that’s great for looking at aggregate use over a day or longer. I’d like to be able to look at a particular time (say, 10:41:14 AM) and see what was in use at that moment. If there’s a way to do that, I haven’t been able to find it.

Alternatively, the ability to download the raw usage data would be fine, since I know how to use Excel. :slight_smile:

Ah, ok I’m understanding. Nope, that’s not really possible at that level of detail. But yes, data export should cover that and I can 100% guarantee you that it’s actively being worked on and we’re hoping to release in the near future.

4 Likes

If you can identify where the water heater turned on or off (time consuming but easy to do) then you can get almost exact usage.
Your water heater will be 3800,4500 or 5500 watts. When you locate the on and off points, spread your fingers so you can see the minute lines at the bottom. Count how many minutes it was on.
Example from mine.
I have a 4500 watt. Take 4500/60=.075.
.075 is kWh per minute.
If on for 10 minutes then that’s .75 kilowatts an hour.
If your cost per KWH is .10 then it cost 7.5 cents for that hour.

I’ve used this to calculate what my water heater costs to run without use. I took 8 hours while everyone was in bed and it uses .3 kWh or 4 minutes an hour. Then multiplied by 24 hours and again by 30 days. That showed I’m using 216 KWH a month for baselines heating or $20

@hhaygood
You can View any point in time in the phone app. Go to trends and use the “power meter”. Use your fingers to expand and contract the timeframe and slide left or right to find what you are looking for.
Screenshot has your desired time circled in green

Oops, didn’t see how old this was