Device data export option

So I have 6 HS110’s and 3 HS300’s and I am having issues with sense not detecting the HS300’s in the sense app right now so I had to go back to the kasa app and remove and rediscover the 3 HS300’s but they still aren’t showing up in the sense app so i think my next step will be to remove the TPLink from connected devices and then add it back which will drop all the data that i have entered into the app for each device. So it would be nice if you could export the data like Device name, Location, Make, Model, TPLink name and TPLink ID to an excel data base so when we re add to the connected devices we have all that info in one place and if we are putting the info back from a computer we can just copy and paste.

1 Like

We have Data Export functionality in the Web App. It seems like it does everything you’d like it to.

1 Like

I took a look - export has everything except TP Link name and ID

Yes but you have to go and export for each device one by one to get the data. I was thinking it would be a lot easier and faster if there was an export option to export all device info at once so you can have it on one spreadsheet like i did here. I had to go into each device and just copied and pasted from the device window but its time consuming.

1 Like

You can also do an single export for the whole house usage, for a day and use a Pivot Table to distill to one entry per device.

But it would still be useful for export to include all of the TPlink name and ids as well.

1 Like

20 devices @mike_gessner?
That’s terrific

Only 10 devices discovered by sense and I have 25 devices with TP-Link if i could just get it working correctly in sense

Earlier today i went to the Sense app and disabled T P Link.
Went to KASA and simply renamed the HS110’s and then went
back to sense to enable it again. It took about an hour but Sense
detected them with the new names and di not retain from when
Sense had them before.
No uninstalling or logging out and back in. I was trying to see if
i would experience the same issues as you.

I can change the names on my HS110’s in the Kasa app and it updates the sense app and it seems to be an issue with the HS300’s only as far as i can tell.

Maybe it’s a bug to report. The HS110 was supported first and it was some time later before they added the HS300.

I don’t have 300’s to test, I’m on lockdown for buying new “toys” right now. The wife wants to know exactly how much money I’ve “saved” using sense so far.

I might be misunderstanding something here… but Device Name and TP-Link name should be the same thing. Sense should be syncing those up.

I’ve never exported my TP-Link data through their utilities. Do they have both a name and hashed ID? I don’t see an ID in the Kasa app.

Mine do not have the same name. In KASA the default name Ive left alone. When sense picks them up and importsnthe name from Kasa, I rename them in sense only. So the same device has different names

Dan is right. You can have a different Kasa/TP-Link name vs Sense device name. The possibly different device names are glued together by the TP-Link id that is exposed in the Sense App. But both the TP-Link name and ID are not part of the export, though that would be very helpful.

ps: one more thing on TP-Link ID. On HS110s, the ID is the MAC address, but on the HS300, which has a single networking MAC address, the TP-Link ID is some kind of synthesized unique ID.

Well, not afraid to admit I was wrong! I did not realize that. I just verified with one of the engineers and here’s the summary:

We pull the name from TP-Link initially. If you rename it in Sense, we do not push it back to the Kasa app. Once you override it in Sense, it will remain overridden, even if you change the name again in the Kasa app.

We’re certainly open to feedback on this. There are some technical limitations with pushing the name change to the Kasa app, but maybe it’d be better to not allow renaming in the Sense app? If you only rename in Kasa, your names should never go out of sync.

I’ll mention the data export request to the team.

2 Likes

I personally like it the way it is for naming. It gives me more options and I guess I view that extra option as a feature
I agree with @kevin1 and @mike_gessner about export

Three thoughts,

• If you only allow name changes via Kasa, then you get rid of the need to export additional names and device IDs. The name stays the same and ID really isn’t needed, even though it’s the hidden glue that links the two pieces of control software.
  • One way syncing is much easier than two way, even though that might be cooler. Much lower chance of issues/conflicts (naming conflicts between controllers and name space issues for instance). FYI - I’m hitting a number of two way sync issues between Hue and HomeKit. Keep it simpler.
  • Allowing both sides to set separate names enables lots of flexibility, but has higher support cost implications. Once you have renaming for one integration, you need to consider for all, including future ones. That has downstream implications for export, interaction between multiple integrations, etc.

Having had some experience with running multiple linked home automation hubs and devices, the most frustrating thing is when the links break and are hard to reconnect/sync. Staying simple and robust is advantageous for a small company.

2 Likes

I just thought it would be nice to have an export button in the devices tab that would export the device details of all your devices at once and put it in a format like what i created.

1 Like

Agree that it would be great to have an Export button in Devices that exports a spreadsheet / .csv of all devices.

But you can pretty much do that today, especially if you are mainly looking for smartplugs.

Go to Usage in the Web App, and select the Day view, then click on the Export button. Select the Day reporting increment. You’ll get essentially the spreadsheet your picture shows with 3 differences:

• 3 additional columns for DateTime, Avg Wattage and kWh.

• perhaps a few missing rows for the devices that were never detected as on that entire day. If you want to see those devices included, then you need to export for a longer period and do the Pivot Table thing.

• 2-3 extra rows that are not devices - Total Usage, Solar Production and Always On.

Just trying to highlight a very simple workaround available today.

Thanks Kevin and that is exactly what i was looking for and didn’t realize it was part of the export. m not sure what i exported before but it didn’t have that data in it but i really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I’ll have to get in and mess around with all the different export options in the web app. Thanks again

1 Like