What's new in Web App v4: Data Export

Data Export is here. May all your .csv dreams come true!

Grabbing your data from the Web App is simple. You can access the export feature in two ways.

1. For a global look into your energy usage, you can access it directly in the Usage screen

2. For a device-specific look into your energy usage, you can access it via a device’s Trends card in the Devices screen

From there, just navigate to the time period you want, no different than your normal interaction with Usage and Trends. Once you’ve decided on the time period you’d like to export, click the “export” icon in the top right corner. You’ll get a popup that lets you choose the time interval of either “hour” or “day.”

Whether you’re exporting your global usage or the usage of a specific device, the exported .csv file will include the wattage for each time interval, including both average wattage and kWh. If you’ve chosen to export your global usage, you’ll also see your total wattage as well as every individual detected device, Always On, and, if relevant, your solar production. From there, the sky’s the limit!

As always, let us know what you think in the comments. We’d really love to know what you’re using data export for.

10 Likes

Please please please give us the option to download more detailed data. Data aggregated at an hourly time frame is not interesting, as Sense well knows. Their whole business depends on getting high-frequency data. Data at second time intervals would be much more useful. We provide the data, please let us access it in it’s raw form. I’d be willing to pay extra for the service of being served all my detailed data. it’s obvious Sense already stores my data in much more detailed time frames.

7 Likes

Agreed, we need it down to the minute, at least! But this is a damn good start :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I compared the Sense hourly data export to the hourly data from my electric utility. The variance was negligible. This confirmed that both Sense and the utility data are accurate which was expected…but great to confirm.

Also, this confirmed that the Sense data and the utility data have the clocks sync’d very close to each other.

1 Like

Yes, this is a good start. I was hoping to see this same data supported by IFTTT to auto-populate a Google Sheet. Then my charts would also be auto updated. :stuck_out_tongue:
Tanks so much.

3 Likes

and @david.justy

We felt that hour-level aggregation was a suitable compromise between operations cost/complexity and granularity, but, as always, are open to feedback. What specifically would you be interested in doing with second-level data?

@RyanAtSense,
Here are a few thoughts on download resolution.

• If I had 15min resolution right now, I would use it in a heartbeat since both my utility suppliers offer that as their minimum resolution. That would be useful in pushing deeper into discrepancies in metering between the three (Sense, PG&E, SolarCity)
  • I don’t know if the 15 min resolution is connected to this, but both those companies provide download data based on the Green Button Data standards - The Green Button for Residential Use
  • I could also see offering second resolution data if someone was only looking at a 1 hour segment, or minute resolution data if someone was looking at only a single day.
2 Likes

Ecobee provides five minute resolution for data export. Granted they’re capturing less data but it’d be nice to have the same resolution for comparing data across companies.

2 Likes

Agreed - 5 min would be better still, even if it was limited to a week of data. I think that’s the minimum sampling that that I identified between all my smart device suppliers. I used to be able to be able to get hourly demand sampled in 8 second intervals (power usage spot samples, not energy data - can be very different) from my meter via a Rainforest Eagle, but my utility seems to have terminated that capability.

3 Likes

I’ve been using eMonitor for many years and appreciate the issues involved with obtaining and processing high resolution data. For much of our analysis (e.g. ASHP, HP DHW, etc.) one minute is ‘good enough’ and while it is ‘nice’ to have all data available at one minute resolution, I appreciate the amount of storage that would require. But providing one minute resolution would enable some valuable analysis for such highly variable loads that enable us to determine malfunctions, improper settings, potential installation issues, etc. So how about limiting the amount of time the one minute data is available - e.g. one day, one week, one month - one month would work really well for my needs.

Thanks very much for providing this capability, even at the hourly level. it provides important visibility needed to help tack down some issues. One question - is this data corrected for power factor ? Particularly with ASHP/HP DHW the power factor can vary substantially during the various modes and intensities of operation.

Thanks for the insight, everybody. I’ll pass it along. Keep it coming!

Maybe the resolution could be specified at the time of export, default being say 15min for the time period requested. If I think there’s a issue to chase, then change resolution to 1min. Records should be unique to the device within the resolution.

1 Like

That’s actually what we’re already doing, but are just limited to hour and day at this time.

I’m sure the broader topic of this is discussed elsewhere, but is there a plan to offer the CSV export programmatically via an API or some machine-to-machine interface?

Guessing that you could probably automate this via Selenium, but that’s a bit overkill.

1 Like

Thank you! I agree with a number of the other posts. The local muni here is piloting a “smart meter”/AMI (Advanced Meter Infrastructure) mesh system and are looking at 5 & 15 minute sampling. Once they implement, I know TOU (Time of Use) and Demand Charges are not far behind in the next COS (Cost of Service) study. This muni on the last COS killed solar with a monthly residential class SSR (Standby Service Rider) of $7.28/KW on new PV installs. I know they are itching for more revenue generation and AMI gives them that power. Fight the power…

1 Like

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Prayers answered!!!

IFTTT support would be incredible. You’d essentially be able to control your home smart devices with power switches that your home already has installed!

Thanks for the reply Ryan. I love to do analysis on my usage of objects around the house. Hourly data is simply not granular enough to derive any interesting usage patterns beyond general “I go to work at 8AM and come back at 5PM” type analysis. Minute and second level data give a lot more interesting insights as I can join that data to data from other devices around my house and find correlations. The possibilities are endless.

Excellent!

Thanks!

This is very fine.

I have found the data export feature very useful. One feature that would make things slightly easier would be the ability to select what devices are included in the export. I currently filter out all devices except for “mains” and “solar.”

I would be ecstatic if I had access to this data via JSON, then I could parse it with a google doc automatically.

1 Like