Disappearing Kasa devices

I took a look at Sense this evening and there were only the always on and other bubbles showing. The Kasa KP115 smart plug devices were not visible (web app or iphone app). One of these includes “computer desk” which has the computer, monitor, etc I was viewing Sense app on. So this was not right. Additionally, I was not able to reach the TP link router login page and the kasa app on my iphone was hung at the green start screen. I went downstairs and rebooted the router. Now the device bubbles showed up in sense (but the existing problem of some not showing up in the devices list was still there).
After a reboot of my iphone , the kasa app was working and showing all 4 of the KP 115 devices.
Interestingly both computer desk and garage fridge show “turned off” in the timeline (as shown below in the first screenshot) at the same time (11:10am).

After router reboot screen shot

1 Like

My view is that there are some defects in the Kasa WiFi software stack that only manifest themselves when being polled / stressed very regularly, as the Sense monitor does (polling all plugs every 2 seconds). Some of the Kasa issues correct themselves, but others eventually require a reboot of the router. What’s also interesting is that the issues sometimes show up across sets of Kasa devices. I have Home Assistant watching 7 of my Kasa smartplugs and the associated data being picked up by Sense from those smarplugs. The first bar in the sequence is my network’s view on the each Kasa plug, while the second is Sense’s view. You’ll notice that there is some kind of Sense outage on 3 of the plugs at 2:55 AM or so. That sequence of 3 “Homes” in a row, reveals brief gaps in ALL the Kasa plugs’ connections with my network.

More info on some of the issues that affect Kasa plugs.

2 Likes

I sometimes have to cycle opening/closing the Kasa app and sense app to force things to update. The Kasa app seems a little buggy. Plugs will sometimes go local only, scheduled on/off are sometimes skipped. I have great wifi coverage so I don’t believe that is the issue. When I open the Kasa app everything seems to go back to normal. It is almost like I should open the Kasa app once a day.

1 Like

These kasa plugs are defiantly receiving cloud commands every 5 days that defers the IP address back to 192.168.0.1 which sometime will connect the LAN bridge back to then sense meter. The fix for it is to block WAN from connect to the kasa plug. If you are using them for energy monitoring like I am this will work fine and never drop. I assume you can still turn the device on/off with the sense app and the kasa app works. It wont work with alexa/google cloud service .

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.