Disappointed in device discovery

We do too! But, it’s just not that simple. I recommend reading this: Why can't you train Sense?

It can take a bit of user effort to ID devices when you get generic duplicates like that. I’d suggest making use of the community names and setting up some custom notifications so you can check out the power meter and narrow down from there. I recently have a bunch of heat devices pop up over two days and it turns out they were all related to my stove/oven. As for why I had 7 heat devices in my in 4-burner stove, I’m not too sure, but some investigation with custom notifications and the power meter helped me figure it out and then I merged them into a single stove device.

That would be a very, very, very long list if we tried to be exhaustive (every mfr ever for every consumer device out there…yikes) and would have to be constantly updated. That said, I do think there could be some autofill capabilities based on what other users have put prior. I’ll pass that along to the team.

Unfortunately, things just aren’t that simple with machine learning. One house doesn’t map so simply to the Sense userbase at large. Most of us here have Sense in our homes and we all suffer from the same device detection frustrations. If I could just knock on my data scientist neighbor’s desk and get my hot water heater detected, I’d be so happy. Alas, I cannot. There just aren’t simple pushbutton fixes here. Sense is a learning device and it needs to learn. You can help Sense learn by making use of Community Names, filling in Make/Model info, turning on Network Identification, and making use of smart plugs for your tough-to-track 120V devices.

In any case, we like meeting our users. I hosted a local user meetup last year. I’ll have to do another one soon nd we can get you in here to meet the team.