Do you own Sense Flex Add-on Sensors or the Sense Flex Bundle?

As some of you know, we released Sense Flex Add-on Sensors and the Sense Flex Bundle on Amazon in 2020. Flex Sensors enable you to utilize the middle port on your monitor (previously reserved only for Solar) with one of the new features below:

Since both of these had to be added as new products to Amazon, they’re pretty hard for new users to find on Amazon. One of the ways we can impact the visibility of Flex Sensors on Amazon is to gather more reviews on the corresponding Amazon product pages.

If you’ve purchased either just the Flex Add-on Sensors or the Flex Bundle (Flex Sensors + Sense Monitor), leaving a review on the corresponding Amazon page below would be a huge help!

Amazon Flex Add-on Sensors

Amazon Flex Bundle

2 Likes

I recently purchased the Flex Add-on Sensors.

I placed the sensors on a Gas Furnace and Dishwasher since both were difficult to add a smart plug. The Dishwasher was never found by Sense and the furnace would not away identify with the "Furnace Bubble.

The dishwasher is a old mechanical dishwasher, no electronics to power up. I placed the sensor on the breaker wire however it was touching other wires. I was getting up to 12 watts of standby power and false indications of usage on the Timeline. I bumped up Standby Watts and seconds. Still got status changes on the Timeline.

The Power Meter for this device shows a instantaneous spike even though the device is disconnected.

Customer Support is working on this issue.

1 Like

I purchased the Flex Add-on for our central AC condenser circuit as well and an electric dryer circuit. The installation requires powering on the breaker and device. Due to the winter temps in my area, I will hold off until Spring to power on the AC. Overall, I believe this will be a great addition to my Sense system.

I recently ordered a Flex Sense on Amazon to monitor my main panel in the house and also my pool panel but I received the Solar Sense. Are the Flex and Solar the same? I only hooked up my main panel so far and haven’t hooked up the pool panel since it isn’t finished yet but curious if I need to keep this or send it back?

Yes, they’re identical and you can proceed with set-up. Let us know if you have any trouble!

2 Likes

Thanks… so far it’s doing great… hasn’t recognized anything yet but it’s cool to see the power I’m consuming in real time.

1 Like

I just purchased these and I am hoping I installed them correctly because they are tracking energy usage that doesn’t scale with the rest of my home usage.

When you say the usage using DCM “doesn’t track” what do you mean ? Which device(s) do you have DCM monitoring ?

Pictures from the phone/tablet app of the Device vs Main Power Meter would be helpful showing the lack of tracking.

Is the usage off by a factor of 2 ? That could indicate a setup issue (120V vs 240V). Or you could have a slightly open sensor that would give a less determinate difference factor.

I have a similar issue. following the advice of the Sense experts…
SenseBuyDirect. I also received clearly marked “Solar Upgrade Kit”. For a good laugh, Sense uses fast shipping… FedEx. FYI Londonderry NH is aproximately 12 Miles from Raymond NH

Not bad, 3 days for 12 miles LOL. Now I have to wait and get instructions on getting the flex sensors I actually ordered.

These are identical to the flex add-on sensors and can be used interchangeably. The packaging is just solar-specific, but I agree it can be misleading!

1 Like

Thanks Justin. The sensors are great, BUT everything from the packaging to the instructions are completely misleading. Come to think of it… of all the times I reached out for customer support, I have never got a direct answer. Only by the help from others post was I able to get as far as I am now… Limited. Anyhow… I have it operational. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re working through a backstock of sensors that were made pre-release of flex add-on sensors, so some of that original packaging is still being shipped from Amazon and our warehouse. I’ll talk with Support about responses to these types of questions in the meantime, thank you a ton for the feedback!

1 Like

Hi Justin,
I’m brand new to Sense (just installed about 1 hour ago from the time of this post). I have Sense Solar sensors and split 400A service. The electrician and myself came to the conclusion that we shouldn’t install the solar sensors onto the other panel – it explicitly says not to do so in the instructions.

The serial number for solar sensors is N113030224. But, I’m seeing the same mixed messages in the included docs. Is it ok to use these on the electrical service panel and plug them into the center port on the unit?

Also, being brand new to Sense and this forum, I really appreciate the valuable and thoughtful discussion I’ve already come across. Kudos to everyone involved for making this a welcoming place.

-Harley

Pretty sure that Flex sensors and Solar sensors are the same thing - interchangeable for solar, generators, dual 400A and DCM. I have used my second set of CTs for solar, 400A dual sensor and now DCM.

Hi @Harley. Welcome! Flex Sensors and Solar sensors have the same calibration leaving the factory, so you should be all set (as @kevin1 mentioned above.)

I purchased the sense flex bundle from amazon. I placed both sensors on one 240v circuit for our floor heat. I recently had a “Heat #” show up and sense suggested an HVAC system. This was exciting as it hasn’t found the blower for our gas furnace. However, after closer monitoring, this new “Heat #” lined up and had very similar wattage as the floor heat circuit that I had the Flex connectors on. I wasn’t expecting it to identify a new heat device for the circuit the flex connectors were monitoring. I merged the “Heat X” with the flex connector device. If it finds this floor heat circuit on its own, maybe I will shift the flex connectors to a different circuit. The furnace or clothes dryer might be a better circuit to move them to.

2 Likes

@Drew , that’s a good strategy - if Sense is consistently detecting the floor heater, it’s time to move the CTs to new challenges and go through the setup process for the new circuits (direct circuit monitoring - DCM).

1 Like