Frustrations & Questions

Hello @jtagen
I’m a user like you but I’ll try to answer some because I’ve had the same issues.
1: Always on is a rolling average for the last 48 hours or so of things that are always on. It’s actu much more complicated than that but beyond me to explain. Search for @kevin1 explanations and you get a solid answer.
2: No, you can not see which side of the phase a device is using. You can only view total watts on each leg in the app but not individually.
I posted a way to use breakers for identification by going backwards and turning off everything except for sense and internet breakers and turning one on at a time to identify. One only at a time.
3: when you get a detection go and either change the name to what you want or flip the slider off for “this is a guess”, sense will not change the name on you if either of these are done. Combine you can’t control. If you had something combined that is t correct, contact support at support@sense.com ASAP or use the report a problem button in the device page for them to help.
4: so if your oil burner is on but instead of that device showing on shows something like heat 1. Go to the device page and heat 1 (shows on but actually oil) and use the setting to report problem and click “this device is not on”. It may take a few times but will help with improving the detection on both devices.
5: I also have a 1500 watt heater that is used a lot that took 2 months to be detected. I also thought because of how it’s used and how easy it is for me to identify that sense would also. Just be patient on this one, it will come.
6: I’m over 2 months in and still ha e a lot of “other”. Detection rates are different for everyone. How many do you have now? If you have half a dozen or more then I’d say you are doing okay. I have had a very fast detection rate but it stopped and it’s been at least a week since I’ve seen one. This is normal as sometimes they come in waves. A few then a period of nothing. Patience is key.
7: I’m avoiding this one
8: This is where you come in and “Train” sense. Sense identified what it thought it was but is not always correct. You have to help identify when it’s calling a fan a fridge or A/C a pump. It takes some observation on your part but is part of the enjoyment for me. Also remember that sense can see a component of a device. So my fridge has 12 different electric components in it. So far sense has detected the ice/water dispenser, defrost element, Compressor and fridge light when the door opens (opens 700 times a month).
So each detection may be one component that you can choose to merge with other components of the same device or keep separate. Like my fridge I keep separate so I can see when the fridge is opened. It lets me know when someone is home and now I can even tell who it is by patterns.
So I haven’t been at it for 3-6 months but close.
Anytime you can’t find your answer here then support will be glad to help, just report a problem in app or shoot an email. I prefer email and thinks it’s a little faster.
Most of all is being patient. A lot of us had higher expectations than sense currently delivers. Things may start a little muddy but hang in there and be a part of the community for the best experience. If you can’t find what your looking for on here then you can PM me anytime and also the moderators are where to get the best help. The main moderator and the manager is a sense employee he can be a huge help. He is @RyanAtSense
Welcome to the community
And here are a couple links you may want to visit
Community Moderators