GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Heavy Duty 40 Amp Smart Switch

I’m aware it would not be straightforward to directly integrate this z-wave smart-switch/power monitor, but I thought I’d start a thread on it because it’s the only independent power monitor I’ve found for a 240V circuit. I’m not sure what granularity or latency of data it supports, but even separate and non-integrated usage data is better than none.

It would be great for a number of customers if Sense was able to integrate this through one or more of the z-wave hubs. I have Smartthings, but would be willing to switch hubs.

https://byjasco.com/products/ge-z-wave-plus-direct-wire-indooroutdoor-smart-switch-40a

1 Like

This has been discussed here:

At $150/each they seem like a good outdoor solution for pool/pump switches but the energy monitoring integration would be better handled, IMHO, by adding another Sense Solar … which works out at $175 per 240V circuit. If you are the type of user who wants 240V high-amp energy monitoring & switching then I suspect you also start to push the limits of processing power on your main Sense with 120V smartplugs.

I get the feeling Sense would consider integration if, say, Wemo or TP-Link made a Z-Wave-less 240V high-amp version of their existing smartplugs. The motivation to integrate (for Sense) is (much) less about switching control and (much) more to get high-resolution energy data (>=1/2s samples) that would be sufficient to improve the Sense dataset to the point where the smartplug is unnecessary!

BTW: I have a second Sense on my 208V 4kW hot water tank which is a Rheem with their EcoNet controller (wifi) so I can switch it on/off & change temp etc.

2 Likes

Sense doesn’t need a Z-Wave radio, all home automation hubs have a wi-if interface and others to access them.

Using the Sense solar doesn’t help those of us with a solar system.

My point was, indeed, that Sense doesn’t need to communicate with Z-Wave and that if there existed, by the likes of Belkin or TP-Link in the Wemo/Kasa realm a wifi-based 240V high-current smartplug with energy monitoring capability then Sense would probably include it in the integration. Beyond that I believe they have better things to do.

@kevin1’s point, as I interpret it, is that when you add the latency together (Z-Wave + WiFi) you can’t expect Sense to perform adequately, as needed for the disaggregation … which is the motivation to include it in the first place.

I’m trying to do an apple$-to-apple$ comparison when I suggest considering 2 x $150 GE-Enbrighten 40 Smart switches versus an additional Sense Solar @ 2 x $175 … obviously you don’t get smart switching with the Sense but you do get plug-n-play energy monitoring at even higher resolution than any existing smartplug. I’ve maxed out on smartplugs on my main Sense and I’m starting to spill-over to have additional ones on the secondary Sense … which is monitoring my hot water tank and air conditioner.

I get it, but a 240v plug won’t address my needs. The devices I want to monitor are hardwired and done so per local code. Now a smaller 110v plug would be great or on with 2 outlets.

I have 21 TP-Link plugs, so I’m pretty well maxed out.

Using multiple Sense Devices would be fine if they appeared as a single unit and the solar CT connection could be configured as another load.

Maybe in time.

1 Like

I’m with you on that. I’m personally concerned because of the lack of coverage of inverter heat pumps, and see other folks having trouble with certain sump pumps. I’m a bit worried that when I get my Florida house covered, that I won’t get good identification of my variable speed pool pump. I’m hoping that my old AC compressor will be covered, though - at least until it gets replaced with a multi-speed compressor. I’m also a little worried that my sister will lose disaggregation of her water heater once she switches hers out for a Rheem heat pump model.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy with the information that I do get from Sense and the information that I get is critical to a number of important energy-saving and money-saving ideas. I was just thinking that they might want to come up with a workaround for high-usage devices that they may never be able to identify - like variable speed compressors/motors.

Well, maybe in a few years their gen-2 (3?) devices will support more CT clamps?

IMHO the longterm reliable data you get using Sense as a device-dedicated monitor is not matched by other options. Compare $175 per 240V circuit to the likely hardware and energy usage costs of heat pumps and other heavy duty devices. Catching faults, which is where Sense can really save the day, is best done when the data is ground-truth … and that’s what you get dedicating a Sense to particular devices or using smartplugs.

@ken2, Sense works in these cases not as a 240V smartplug but as an in-panel monitor with CTs on hardwired devices (or for that matter any circuit). You can also offload TP-Link smartplugs from your maxed out main Sense and link them to your secondary Sense. You still get overall energy use on your main Sense … and the benefit of a deeper dive on the secondary Sense.

Future integration between accounts or having multiple Sense monitors seems more likely (and more robust) than other integration options. In the meantime you aren’t losing any data!

I’m in Florida as well. My 2 stage Trane compressor was found early on and has been a very stable identification. I have a variable speed pool pump and I have no hope that it will ever find it. In fact I think Sense has now added it to my Always-On, at least the 8 hours run at 180 watts.

I wouldn’t hold hope that it will find your variable speed AC compressor once you update.

I’m very happy with Sense too. It’s provided me with a tremendous amount of insight into our energy usage. I’m hopeful that it will continue to grow and mature. It stall has a ways to go.

2 Likes

I get all of that… Reliable data and ground truth is what “Sense” needs. And “Catching Faults” is EXACTLY why I bought the product. Last July the neutral line of my incoming service “cooked” and my house literally freaked out.

Using 2 Sense units as they exist today will not work for me. Maybe it does for you but it won’t for me.

Anyways, I’m in with Sense for the long haul and time to move on to another topic.

1 Like