How does the Solar CTs and monitor work?

So I have solar and had the monitor installed by my electrician for over a week so far. It was a gift so so it did not originally include the solar clamps.
I noted of course during solar production, the monitor would go flat/negative and could not read or detect any electrical load so I bought the solar clamps, installed them myself and reset the system and calibrated the solar clamps.
Just curious how the solar clamps work with the monitor? It is as straight forward that the system just minuses the input from the solar clamps from what is being detected in the main clamps?

I think it actually works just the opposite. Sense adds the Solar feed-in to the the net usage measured by the mains CTs to calculate the Total Usage. Some of the details are hidden - things like:

• Sample rate of mains and solar CTs
  • Sample rate for voltage (shared between both Solar and mains)
  • How exactly the 1/2 second RMS power calculation is done.
2 Likes

Just curious.
Would the system be able to actually detect any devices without the solar clamps?
While I understand that detailed usage will probably be obscured by solar production; will their learning algorithm be able to figure out any of the other device signatures over time.

My guess is yes, Sense should detect devices even without the solar feed, since the solar feed currents should be fairly constant at least on the timescale that most of the Sense detection take place. I have speculated in the past that Sense most likely does the highest resolution sampling on the mains CTs vs voltage and solar CTs, because the voltage is driven to be very predictably sinusoidal by the utility and the solar current shouldn’t vary quickly due to both the limited rate of change of the PV inputs (clouds don’t change in microseconds) and the inverter which has some short term energy storage.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.