HS300s No Longer Responding

My wifi controller blocks some of the traffic. I haven’t had time to work out exactly which traffic(I suspect in it multicast).

I had to move sense and the kasa switch(3) and power strips(2) to an old WAP that didn’t block the traffic.

Are you seeing the usage displayed in the Kasa app?

I am not. I think I just need to start over. Is there a step by step setup guide?

Clay

If you’re not seeing the usage in Kasa, the problem wouldn’t be on Sense’s end so I’m not really sure how to help you there. I would follow @jonhawkes lead and see if some of your network traffic is being blocked.

After that is fixed, you can disconnect the integration from Sense in Settings and then just re-connect.

I’m seeing the exact same problem. I just added 4 hs300 strips. Sense is only seeing 2 of them, and the 2 it does see, it is not seeing any data for, just showing the outlets and N/A for the integration and no power values shown. Power loads showing fine within kasa app, just not in sense

I rolled two topics together because they are discussing the same thing - HS300s that are visible in Kasa but not in Sense-land. Three possible issues affecting you:

1. Sometimes it can take a while (a day or so) for smart-plug discovery.
  2. Mesh networks that reconfigure themselves and networks that repress subnet broadcasts can prevent Sense from seeing the smart plugs
  3. You’re also probably close to or over the Sense limit of 20 smart outlets per Sense if you have 4 HS300s (6 outlets x 4 HS400s = 24 - over the limit). That can cause issues.

If you know your networking, this might be helpful. Kasa uses a different approach to talk to the HS300s.

1 Like

Numerous people in the forum have observed that Sense can loose track of smart plugs, for minutes or days. I had started the smart-plug-power-data-glitches thread a few weeks back due to my experience. No other device on my LAN seems to misbehave for minutes to days, including the Sense device itself uploading the main/solar CT power data…I only have issues with Sense’s ability to consistently successfully communicate with the smart plugs. In my case, when Sense is unaware of smart plugs on my LAN, which it previously knew about and successfully acquired power data for, I am able to access the power data of the smart plugs from their native apps (Wemo or Kasa). (Well, there was one time I could not access the TP-link power data from the Kasa app, but I think the problem was on their end at the time.) Sense has not permanently not been able to access any of my smart plugs…it has always been able to rediscover them and get their data, but sometimes after 3-4 days.

I would like to offer whatever assistance I can be to help the Sense team debug and fix these issues. There must be some type of network behavior that trips Sense up to get in a mode where it just forgets about some of the smart plugs, or that the method it uses to communicate with the smart plugs is not as robust as what the native services (Wemo and Kasa) use.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.