Kasa HS-110 being discontinued, what's next?

I have some 20 amp outlets on my house. They’re not that uncommon

That’s not the case. If you have a 20 amp breaker on a 15 amp circuit you could cause a fire. Most 15 amp circuits have 14 gauge wiring, or they could. The 20 amp breaker would obviously allow up to 20 amps to go through it which theoretically over taxes the 14 gauge wire to the point where I could catch on fire.

I’m shocked by the idea that higher amperage breakers would be used on lower amperage wiring and outlets. That’s not only a violation of the electrical code but it’s an incredibly stupid idea. Among other things that would totally invalidate your insurance should (WHEN!) it caused a fire. Similar for other breakers and wiring.

Some jurisdictions do recommend the opposite, using 15 amp breakers on wiring (#12) rated for 20 amps, but that’s not common.

2 Likes

I think confusion comes from exception that allows a 15A outlet to be installed on 20A circuit. So the breaker is 20A, the wire is 12 gauge (20A) but the outlet is 15A. This is safe because in theory you aren’t suppose to draw more than 15A from the outlet so it won’t overload the wiring.

TP-Link KP115 Energy Monitoring Smart Plug now available on Amazon, $34.78.

Twice the price and still doesn’t support 5Ghz Wifi. :frowning:
They are smaller than the HS110
Better than nothing, I suppose.

Website still implies that they are coming soon.

Do we know if KP-115 works with Sense?

I just ordered one from from a website in CT called shopBLT for $23.78. I’ll let you know if it works.

B8GY872 KASA SMART WIFI PLUG SLIM $ 21.78 ENERGY MONITORING MFG #: KP115

2 Likes

Hey there @torchme68. We’re very interested in this as well and will be assessing compatibility shortly. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

@JustinAtSense
Fantastic! I see Kasa App already lists it as a device I can add. I hope its an easy add for you guys. Let me know if I can help.

With that being said, the HS-300 is currently on sale on Amazon for $20 off.
I really enjoy using them for my entertainment system and office. Reduced my Always On bubble by 60% almost instantly :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

Nothing official from Sense, yet. But I’m seeing good things from my tester Kasa KP115 ! Configured in the Kasa app, updated firmware (as Kasa app suggested), and then it was spotted right away by my Sense monitor. Not I just have to figure out something to monitor.

Guessing that people who expect everything to work perfectly should probably wait a bit for official Sense testing and support, but I wanted to offer some encouragement to folks who are staring down 100$ HS110s.

7 Likes

This is great news!

Agreed…this is great news… What makes a smart plug compatible with Sense exactly? Why are some Kasa smart plugs compatible, while others are not?

I would have thought that Kasa would leverage their technology into all their products, right? Why would you re-invent technology you own or have invested in for each smart plug… Most Honda and Acura’s leverage same parts where it makes sense (e.g., oil filters, etc…)… Wouldn’t that be the case with Kasa as well?

Sorry…I know…stupid questions… But “Enquiring Minds Want to Know!” LOL…

1 Like

TP-Link Kasa smartplugs all speak the same network protocol. The limiting factor is there are only 3 models (HS110, HS300 and now KP115) that actually measure power usage and respond back to Sense with power data, when the Sense monitor broadcasts a request for power data.

4 Likes

Thanks for the KP115 source - shopBLT.
They are $21.78 each with a $2.00 handling charge per order and free ground shipping. They still have more than 100 in stock. I couldn’t find them on Amazon.

I have some on the way. I will report back.

That’s really good news, since HS-110’s are scarce and have become very costly. The form factor of the KP115 is also much more convenient, allowing two units per duplex outlet. Thanks for the update.

Now Sense needs to make this official, and to find a solution for all the 240v consumers out there. The recent band aid using the (previously solar only) connection helps a few customers, but none of us already with solar systems and none of us with more than two 240v units that need to be monitored.

Only a few of the KASA products include power monitoring, most of them are control only. So, there is little/no reason to connect Sens’s power monitoring to those.

Ah… Got it… I am not familiar with the Kasa product line and missed the fact that monitoring wasn’t a standard capability in their smart plugs… Thanks for the clarification…

I have a house full of Kasa switches and dimmers all running through the AC1900 router. It would be helpful if Sense would be able to see those devices, if nothing else to help with recognition especially with the dimmers. However The HS220 has to be able to monitor at least a portion of it’s power as it’s able to auto calibrate it’s dimming curves and subsequently blow up if you use a shop vac on it (different story). After 2 months my sense has only found one device out of thirteen that are attached to a Kasa switch, and that was one that’s the least frequently used.