Kasa HS-110 being discontinued, what's next?

Only 3 Kasa Products include power monitoring. The HS-110, HS-300 and the new KP-115.
As has been said a few times, it is about what data KASA makes available for developers to access. So even if the HS220 does have some kind of monitoring in it for the calibration, it doesn’t present anything via its API so Sense can’t do anything with it.

2 Likes

The HS 220 may use power as one thing it uses to control devices, but it doesn’t “measure” and communicate those readings. Only the 110, 300, and now 115 seem to have that capability.

2 Likes

Is it likely that sense will increase the 20 smart plug device limit soon? That limit is approached by only 3 of these power strips whether or not every plug position is populated.

I just ordered them from Amazon for $22.99 each.

I just got two on Amazon, for $22.99 including shipping. They are saying only 15 left, but more coming. Apparently these are selling like hot cakes.

2 Likes

The 20 limit only includes used / monitored plugs on the HS300. So don’t use plugs on the HS300, just because they are available, use them only if it makes a difference. I originally put some of my 2W and 3W devices (AppleTVs, solar monitor, cable amps) on an HS300 because they were all in the same spot, but those plugs aren’t really delivering useful data, especially after one figures out that they are only using between 1 and 3 Watts consistently one time.

@Kevin1, can you explain that a bit? When I added my 300 to my Kasa app, all 6 plugs appear in Sense. and I’ve never seen a way to tell Sense or Kasa to ignore unused plugs.

Even though i’m only using 3 of the plugs on the strip, Sense is still polling 6 “things” and expecting data back from 6 things. Whether an outlet is being used or not, ignoring the difference in bits of 0 vs 100 as a decimal number, I would think that network traffic wise and processing wise on the Sense, its almost the same.

1 Like

Good question @ben. I won’t pretend to know the answer, and I haven’t experimented. - just going by how the limit is expressed by Sense.

Is there a limit to the number of smart plugs I can connect to Sense?
The number of smart plugs is limited primarily by Wi-Fi network bandwidth. Typical Sense users can use about 20 smart plugs without issue. Note that each USED plug of the TP-Link HS300 smart strip counts as 1 smart plug.

From what I know, when the Sense sends out a broadcast and all applicable smart plugs on the same subnet then respond. Maybe if you delete an unused outlet in Kasa app, the HS300 doesn’t include that data. Or if you delete the plug in the Sense device list, Sense doesn’t try to process and report the data coming from that plug. I don’t know where the bottleneck exactly is, but it’s not the network traffic, but rather the monitors ability to handle more data from the plugs.

Oh interesting. I have to be honest, as many times as I have read that paragraph, I never clocked the “Used” qualifier. I’ll play around with the Kasa app. I don’t think I have the ability to edit individual plugs other than name, but maybe its there somewhere i overlooked.

Thanks!

Good eye, @kevin1.
I’ll follow-up here with clarification around the “used” specification Monday.

What did you search to find them? I’ve been searching all week, and haven’t found anything. I’ve tried Kasa 115, HS115, I’ve even gone into the Kasa store on Amazon and nada. Can someone share the direct link if they still have it? Thanks!

KP115 - who knows why TP-Link changed the prefix.

1 Like

Amazon shows TP-Link KP115 as “available to ship in next 1-2 days”…so they did run out. They are taking orders though.

1 Like

Thank you Kevin and Andy. While Sense support sounds baked in, I’m going to wait until Sense confirms it or releases any software updates for compatibility. I can’t fit a 110 behind my fridge, but could a 115. I even ordered a short, flat plug, extension cord for it.

1 Like

I had the same problem with the HS110, which is large and fat, and the refrigerator plug. So I got a short extension cord with a very flat plug (even better than the refrigerator). I ran the extension cord up to the top of the refrigerator, plugged the HS110 into it and the refrigerator into that. Then I taped the combination to the top of the refrigerator and moved it back into the cabinet. Fortunately there was enough room to clear the plugs and HS110. The KP115 is less bulky, so should fit easier.

2 Likes

So I just got 3 plugs and I’m starting to mess with them. While they do seem to work in the app it seems to be a little spotty.

Just wanted to make everyone aware, it seems like this should be considered “Beta” until Sense officially supports it.

I’m still looking into the issues. I’ll update if I resolve them.

Just an update… I’ve found lots of issues and I’m going to open a support case.

Issues:

Initially I never updated the firmware on the plugs. I saw them in the app but they all said NA and didn’t show any usage.

When the kp115s were in the app, clicking on always on would crash the Android app everytime.

I removed the Kasa integration and readded it and now all my plugs (including my hs300) don’t show up at all.

Connected home status says looking for plugs.

I updated the new plugs to the latest firmware and still nothing.

Interesting… I did the the addition in the Kasa app, then the firmware update before I tried to configure into Sense-land. Everything seems to be working - trying out my KP115 Roamer out on my subwoofer. It’s only supposed to power up when my stereo is on, but I think it’s popping on every once in a while by accident. Now I can compare them. Subwoofer below.

Had you had any similar issues with Always On prior to this? That doesn’t sound like it would be related to the new plugs.

What version of Android are you on? Version of Sense app? Have your plugs shown up since you last posted?

I just installed 3 KP115s yesterday. Each is plugged into the wall and a UPS is plugged into it as these computer and networking components have never been detected and 2 of them are a big part of Always On and Other.

These are my first smart plugs… should I expect to see my Other go down now? Not sure how Sense handles these with the Other and Always On calculations.