Kasa HS-110 being discontinued, what's next?

@ben @kevin1 We checked in with the dev team and current smart plug implementation does not differentiate between ‘used’ and ‘un-used’ plugs when polling them. An ‘off’ plug is polled at the same rate as an ‘on’ plug, as we need to look for status changes; thus, it uses the same amount of bandwidth. We’ll update that FAQ question to reflect this. We’re still comfortable with the recommendation for around 20 plugs, but it ultimately depends on lan/wan conditions. This is not a limitation built into the Sense app or the respective Kasa/Wemo APIs.

@ritchierich The wattages attributed to those plugs will be removed from Other. If you’re monitoring devices that Sense has detected (either partially or fully) be sure to follow the What’s Plugged Into this flow to prevent duplicate reported wattage.

If Sense detects an Always On load on those plugs, it will be reflected in the Always On Device Details screen. Here’s what mine looks like:

To everyone – we’re continuing to test the new KP115 plugs. If you’ve set them up, please report any issues in this thread. So far, things are looking promising.

2 Likes

Hey Ryan,

The always on issue has never happened before and my phone is Android 10 with the latest version of the app. I did do some more troubleshooting yesterday and it fixed some of the issues.

I disabled TP-Link Integration and hard rebooted the sense controller after a couple minutes by flipping the breaker. When i turned it back on everything was good. I then reset the configs on all my KP115s in the Kasa app and plugged in only 1 KP115 into my main TV.

I reenabled integration and the first thing that popped up was the plugs for my HS300 and they worked fine. Secondly the KP115 showed up but it wasn’t working correctly, the control bubble would say NA and no info was included when clicking into it.

I monitored it throughout he day and notice that at some points the device would show as on and working but after a few minutes it went back to NA.

For another test I plugged in a second KP115 (also factory reset) and it still hasn’t shown up in the app at all. I still have a third plug i haven’t plugged in yet.

Thanks for the additional info. I’m unable to replicate on iOS; we’ll do further testing on Android.

Just a FYI, the Always on Tab works fine now so i’m not 100% sure it’s related or not. But the plus still aren’t working correctly in Android.

Is it ok if we take a closer look at your data?

Sure you can access my data, the TV is actually on right now so you guys might see more on the backend (mine still says NA). Also, i opened a support ticket on Saturday called " Kasa KP115 Integration issues". I don’t see a case ID anywhere.

Also i work in IT so if you want to get highly technical i’ll understand it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@RyanAtSense, thanks for the clarification ! So that really speaks to using HS300s carefully, if you have a number of devices one needs to monitor via smartplug.

2 Likes

Yeah, agreed. I typically recommend HS-300’s for areas of a home dense with electronics (offices, entertainment centers) and this definitely reinforces that recommendation.

Just got these in, i’ll post (maybe start a new thread, not sure) this evening / tomorrow.

@jspreetsidhu, just make sure you configure them in Kasa and update each one’s firmware before looking for them in Sense app.

It now says 1-2 months … :frowning:

Just a note that I installed 2 of the KP115 this week - my first smart plugs and so far they seem to work fine. No issues with discovery, etc. I did do the firmware update immediately upon activation.

2 Likes

I also ordered a smart plug KP115. Updated my Kasa app and Sense identified it immeditately. I’m very happy with it.

I ordered 3 of KP115s. I put one on freezer that had not been detected. Last night the freezer was detected.

Can I repurpose the KP115 now it appears to know about this device?

Was it an actual detection, or the smart plug showing up as a device ? f you now have two devices, your smart plug and and a freezer, then I would keep the KP115 on the freezer for a few days, just to see how accurate the detection is, and what you might possibly be missing. If you are comfortable with Sense’s accuracy, repurpose. There’s a thread somewhere around here about repurposing. Not a simple step if you want to get rid of the smartplug history. Otherwise, just rename the smartplug and live with the fact that you’ll have some freezer history included at the beginning.

It’s an actual detection. I updated the the “what is plugged in to the smart switch” to be the detected freezer and it said it was merging the two which made sense. I’ll have to find the thread on repurposed smart plugs.

It was easy for me to reach the plug on the freezer to add the smart plug so I added it to see if it would help with detection (anyone know if it makes a difference?). My main fridge still hasn’t been detected yet. I have suspicion that Sense has problems with variable speed devices. E.g. It’s found one microwave but not the Panasonic inverter based one. The fridge it hasn’t found is a Samsung with inverter technology. It hasn’t found my 5 stage heat pump yet or the air handler with ECM motors.

I just got my KP115’s and they work fine. BLT has quite a few of them on stock, for only $22 a piece.

Happy ‘Sensing’.

1 Like

I ordered 5 from BLT. They arrived promptly and I set them up with the Kasa app with no problems. Sense picked them up right away.

2 Likes

My Sense is working great lately. I moved it to a new house two months ago with a total reset. It’s working better after two months than after four years at the other house.

1 Like

Does anyone could get a confirmation that Kasa KP115 is normally On? In other words, after power outage, will the plug be on?

I don’t want to lose the refrigerator content after a power outage.