Mis-recognized found devices

#1

Hi All - and support!

Still LOVING my sense, however recently found devices have been mis-recognized as other devices when they turn on.

For example, this morning a device found as “Dryer1” (I’m still working on seeing if its actually a component of my electric dryer) showed that it was on, but was actually the water heater (confirmed). So I went into the sense app and reported a problem for “Dryer1” and said that it wasn’t on. It then put that power (a little over 4 kilowatts) into the “Other” category.

In the past, the water heater was correctly identified and showed as “on” when it was actually on. I’m worried now that it won’t show up again as “Water Heater” and will now remain in the “other” category. I don’t believe there is a way to re-assign it back to the correct device - so what are my options? Do I do a full reset of Sense and let it re-detect all my devices again? To be honest - my device list is now a mess with found motors and heat devices that never stay on long enough for me to correctly merge them to their main components. My only fear is loosing my solar data for the year if I do a reset.

All your help would be most appreciated!

PS - Installed Sense in October 2018 and it still hasn’t detected my January 2013 Tesla Model S 85kwh hooked up to a Tesla High Power Wall Connector charging at 48amps! Would LOVE to get that detected - I really want to track its power use since I put 60+ kWh into it DAILY!

Aaron

1 Like
#2

Just wait it out. Over time, if your water heater has been correctly detected, the report g generally improves. If it’s being conflated with something like your dryer, that usually improves also. If you can catch the conflation in the act and use “this device is not on”, that can help speed things up but I would not reset anything.
We all go through the mindset of thinking we can help Sense. We can really only use the reporting it’s not on and that’s it. I would not recommend any type of reset for just a few devices that are still early in the process being confusing with each other.
Be patient as hard as it’s is. I always go at least 2 weeks of steady problems before deleting a device.

1 Like
#3

As @samwooly1 says. wait it out. I have similar issue going on. Had a previously correctly detected toaster oven reporting great. Used my electric smoker on Mother’s Day. Tried to get in and monitor it’s usage to find it was reporting as the toaster oven. Didn’t read about the “this device is not on” reporting until today. I’m going to try that next time I use the smoker.

#4

I have to disagree. over time recognition for identified devices just goes downhill. 2-3 months after I bought sense it had my dehumidifier identified perfectly ever time. 7 minute run every 15 minutes.
it would recognize this entire cycle
00%20PM
a year and half later, it sees it as 300 individual spikes over the course of 7 minutes. it’s absurd. You know i’ve tried deleting devices. but it keeps redetecting them 3 days later as the same thing.

I think a data purge is necessary. but I don’t want to lose my history. I think it is time to message support.

@KingAZ I hate to be mr. negativity. but reporting device not on never seemed to help in my case. that feature has been around for a long time now.