More flex inputs

I was actually looking at the Emporia vue since it is a lot cheaper than buying an additional sense and I could hook up other circuits also though too much data might be more annoying to make sense of and it will be in more than one place / shown in a different way. I love the sense and what it shows me on my main setup and the devices / alerts / automatically finding devices but spending another potential $300 to just monitor 1 additional circuit is too much. a $50 to $100 break out box with multiple CT inputs to send data through the solar CT port would definitely be something to look into for the future to not modify the sense itself potentially?

I only wanted to monitor 3 240V circuits and have over 90 circuits scattered across 3 boxes in my house. Per circuit systems weren’t even in the running.

@Beachcomber I personally don’t feel comfortable advertising other platforms on Sense’s community even though you want to add it in additon to. That being said 1 of the 2 that you mention has a HACS integration to HA. It does report on each CT and you could then use emulation to do what you are attempting. So in theory, without ever trying myself, it should work as you describe.

It actually tickles the geek bug in me to try it. But something else to consider is that it would only be good on single device circuits as the plugs or zwave monitors would be better on individual devices.

2 Likes

I was thinking specifically 220 circuits like my Dryer and Range that Sense hasn’t detected as well as pool pump, garbage disposal etc that are on separate circuits but not detected.

I also wonder if Sense is detecting my ENTIRE AC unit as compressor and air handler are in different circuits etc.

Sense has been doing a pretty good job of detecting my single stage AC compressors. The compressors are detected separately from my air handlers that are part of my furnaces, since compressors and furnaces are on separate circuits (furnace is 120V, compressors are 240V). Most of the summer Sense has been nailing every on/off, but I’m starting to see a few misses. In the Home Assistant graph below, you can see the power usage from my Sense (top) for both the air handler(red) and the compressor (blue), against the temperature and control information coming from my Ecobee (bottom). The misses are the red upticks on the top and the blue bands on the bottom that don’t have a matching on cycle in blue on the top graph.

Also very important for me to keep the air handler separate from AC compressor because they are orthogonal - the air handler also comes on during the winter with the furnace.

1 Like