New Category for HEAT PUMP

We currently have to use “heat” for the category for heat pump or “cooling”. Neither of this is accurate. A heat pump supplies both based on season or ambient indoor temperature.
Mine is set to category “heat” to name it “heat pump”. On the stats page, the calculation is going to be way off on the top line where it estimates cost based on “last season”. For a heat pump, the season is the entire year. When it comes to summer, what is my cost for last season going to look like since I don’t have a separate “A/C”?

3 Likes

Agreed, need more devices under HVAC in general. I don’t think the list gets touched a whole lot but maybe they don’t get too many requests.

2 Likes

I agree that HVAC needs an expansion. While I have a forced air heat pump, there are many that have a hybrid system using forced air, a compressor and geothermal wells and pumps.
Another couple pet peeves for me is “fridge” being the only choice for what I know as a “refrigerator”
And “washer” for what is a “washing machine”.

I recently installed a new heat-pump with modulating gas furnace and variable speed air conditioner. The system utilizes a communicating ION controller. The ION controller is capable of tracking energy usage of the HVAC system. I have access to the controller via the internet if desired.
The HVAC load profile presents somewhat of a sawtooth pattern. The controller also makes small changes to circulating fan speed to maintain comfort. This behavior makes it impossible for Sense to identify the HVAC load.
It would be a neat feature if the ION controller could share it’s energy data with the Sense app. I am not holding my breath for this to happen soon.

Both the Tplink and Wemo smart plug protocols are fairly simple to implement. If other energy monitors like your ION controller also have a documented protocol, perhaps a volunteer on this board could implement a proxy service that runs on a PC or Arduino that queries the ION controller using its protocol and relays the data to Sense using either the Tplink or Wemo smart plug protocol that Sense already supports and requests.

The HVAC system is built by UTC. I have the ION app loaded on my WIN 10 pc. (I am not a fan of controlling my HVAC via IPHONE). My dream would be for ION to have a few handy TCP/IP ports with the needed system data. I should fire up Wireshark and see if I can do a little reverse engineering.
I am retired and really have better things to do in the great outdoors. I have a box full of
Raspberry PI’s gathering dust. Maybe next winter when I am hunkered down and nowhere to go…

Better yet, in my mind, would be for ION, and lots of other HVAC controllers / thermostats to emulate Ecobee’s well documented API… Most smart thermostats and controllers have no idea how much electrical energy they are using - they just output mode and runtime info.

https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/api/introduction/index.shtml

Sense can already connect with one’s historic Ecobee heating and cooling data to improve HVAC detection going forward.

https://help.sense.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036768014-v29-1-iOS-v29-2-Android-

1 Like