"Works with Nest" Integration

This seems like a great partnership. It could really improve the detection of the heating and cooling components in the home as well.

19 Likes

Where did you see this announcement? I canā€™t find it anywhere.

This is a wishlist item, not actually integrated.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. Would be a great integetation and could supply Sense with a lot of information to detect things more quickly.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! Nest is definitely a product that we see the benefit of integrating with, and will be sure to keep this request in mind as we work on integrating with other connected devices.

2 Likes

Could someone provide examples of how integration with Nest would help? Mine is no long a stock Nest, so I may be missing something.

I think at its core it would just be about helping train the Sense to detect specific events.
The simplest of integrations would be that the Nest can tell the Sense ā€œhey, Iā€™m turning on the 2nd floor heat nowā€ or " only the fan is running, I turned off the compressor". Since the Nest knows what it is doing, it can pass that info on to Sense to help them build / detect the device. The Nest knows the name of the zone, the type of HVAC (heat/cool), what kind of heat (radiant/electric/forced air) and the fuel source, that is all info that Sense can use to help detect the power signatures faster.

Iā€™m sure there are other integration possibilities as well, but that is what I am seeing as the base integration at this moment.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve recently started using the Nest developer API for some home integration projects.

I would love to see the Sense use this to ā€˜knowā€™ when the Heat and Air Conditioning is being requested to help better track which unit is running.

Often I get incorrect device or no device (Other) when calling for heat or air conditioningā€¦ If this could be used to help drive the data analytics, Iā€™d be happy to sign up!

Thanks for the input. Weā€™re working on thermostat integration along those lines as a way to provide the Sense monitor with some ground truth. Itā€™s definitely still in the early dev stages, but stay tuned!

6 Likes

glad to hear that Ryan. I logged into the app, deleted every device for fun since it was having issues (didnā€™t erase all of my data. amazing how quickly it is detecting devices with 7 months of data. 6 devices in like 15 minutes! lol)

but after I deleted every device, it alerted me that it detected my Philips Hue, and I was like COOL. why not my Nest? That would certainly help with my AC detection which, while it does detect the AC, it isnā€™t very accurate. Would be cool if it would detect the difference between the blower motor being on and the Compressor. which is possible because I have an google spreadsheet that does it.

Glad to see your team is working on it! Look forward to it. Also, I am considering switching to an ecobee 4. If you do that one, it will give me more incentive to switch. :wink:
itā€™s been 2 months now since you made this comment. are you still working on it, or has it been released and the app is failing to notify me like it failed for the hue bridge?

1 Like

I just got a Sense and I am eagerly awaiting my devices to be detected. I see this nest integration as a requested feature and I wanted to chime in that this would be a great idea. I hope you guys have made some progress in the last few months. Looking forward to hearing about it!

-Joe

On this same topic, I just had a new Trane heat pump installed and it has a thermostat with WiFi and Nexia integration.
It knows exactly what my compressor speed is and so on, would love to see this information shared with Sense.

1 Like

The Product Wishlist subforum works best when there are unique threads for unique feature requests. I would suggest creating a new thread for this.

See the guidelines here: Using the Product Wishlist forum - #3

Hey! Do we have an idea if this will be implemented? :slight_smile: I think that this could have a HUGE impact on the accuracy of the HVAC/Furnace/AC tracking :slight_smile:

Hi, I would also like to see the nest integration. I saw a couple of earlier posts with thoughts on what could be done. Nest does the whole leaf thing where it makes suggestions on saving energy. Also, now that nest is a Google brand and being more tightly integrated with Google Home, we could see a lot more Google Home and Assistant interactions as more IoT things are added and discoverable. You guys could even help usher in a whole new API set for IoT and Energy monitoring.

Not sure the Google integration was helpful in the short run. Google pretty much shut down Nestā€™s Works with Nest program as well as Nestā€™s original integration API in Sept. 2019, without a comparable replacement. Iā€™m guessing that may have stymied any in-process Sense integration efforts.

There is an integration with Ecobee thermostats, described here:

https://community.sense.com/t/device-detection-major-update-ecobee-historical-v29-1-ios-v29-2-android

@kevin1 hit the nail pretty firmly on the head, unfortunately. The old Works with Nest program was shut down (and our Google Assistant integration in no way would help us get a Nest integration off the ground). They have re-opened some development opportunities, but that only just happened so we need to do some research into them.

I have two Nest thermostats. After a month, Sense has finally figured out that sometimes a furnace is on, but canā€™t tell the difference between the upstairs and downstairs operation. A lot of homes have Nest thermostats, and to have a smart sensor that ignores them is just not right.

@fagerlie, did you read why ? Google shut down the original Nest program that Sense had been developing against. Kind of shame that Google threw the original integration out the window.

Itā€™s also a shame that IFTTT no longer works with Nest either. So the functionality of Nest has actually gone down significant in the last 6 months. Itā€™s a shame, because I have 4 of them.