New Members/Old Members: Introduce yourself!

Welcome @winemanjmr and @CodyR!

Ronald from Liverpool NY. Sense with solar was on sale so I purchased one. Installed it the next day when it arrived on Friday. So far it found 3 devices. Looks like the aquarium heaters are easy picking for the monitor. Waiting for the snow to melt off my solar panels so I can make them a part of the sense monitor. I work as a Systems Admin for the county and like to figure stuff out, I consider myself an early adapter of technology.

1 Like

I am on my second go round, letting Sense discover what is going on. After installing solar on Sept. 1st I reset the Sense device to figure out my new electrical setup.

I am not that upset that I had to start over, I might not have made all the changes if I hadn’t seen my electrical in such detail the first time around. It is nice to see my power use every second, I set my old iPhone up running the app in our living room. Would be nice if they added the graphs to the watch and not just use it to show alerts.

Yesterday was the 8th of December, so more than three months since the reset and it found 3 new devices, likely they are heaters as it is getting cold and we were not running much in the way of heat in Sept. Now I am up to 16 devices discovered.

Hi! I’m Ramón. I’m a software developer. I’ve been using Sense for a little over a week now and am really diggin’ it.

I’m looking to reduce my energy costs and have installed a bunch of Lutron occupancy sensors and a StreamLabs Water Monitor. I’m slowly adding more smart home tech when practical. I just added a TP-Link HS300 for my computer and monitors and will probably be picking up some Currant plugs if Sense gets integrated with them.

Not the biggest fan of barbecue, but I do love me a good grilled burger :smile:

Good morning. I’m Bob in Wilmington, NC. I installed my Sense twice already. Our Heat Pump breaker is wired into a breaker box outside below our meter. I think I’m monitoring all my power use now. It appears so. I know a lot of my devices when they come online but Sense hasn’t found too many yet. Maybe in the future sense programmers could allow you to identify devices as they show up on your usage graph.

1 Like

Welcome Bob.

Your first question is a very common one and is answered at length in many posts. Start here, if you haven’t read this already:

The Sense learning curve is as long as the Sense learning curve. If you get my drift.

Hi Pete Here from Streamwood, IL. Just installed Sense, so it is still learning, but watching the Meter while laundry is done is pretty nice. I like the candy for the eyes comment. The main reason I got sense was I also recently just got solar and saw alot of forums talking about making sure you get your discretionary power load right. I am currently doing net metering which means the solar is going into our Advanced meter and contributing to the Smart Grid when not being consumed by the house. That may seem to nullify the Solar sensors I bought; still waiting to hear from support on that one.

I am looking forward to seeing what we can find. I rue the day when my spouse asks to see the reports once we have things discovered.

Nothing wrong with some redundancy! But I think you’ll find the Sense Solar will give you added features, especially in the longer term, because of the high sample rate.

Admit it: You’re really looking forward to an in-depth conversation with your spouse about all those watts!

My name is Chris and I installed my sense on December 1st. I work for a local water and sewer authority and live in Bucks County just north of Philadelphia. I have a Sense, 5 Nest smoke detectors, a few Echoes and Dots, a SmartThings hub, a few SmartThings smart plugs, GE zigbee and zwave switches, a WeMo insight plug, a Kasa hs110 and hs300, a Harmony hub with elite remote and although it might not be relevant my favorite piece of electronics is my LG oled65c9pua

Hi! My name is Noel. I am an old geezer who just installed a Sense monitor on 2019 Dec 18.

Hello! im new to all of this but seems like a useful tool and cant wait to start learning more about it

I am a 68 yr old, a bit of a nerd that built my own farmstead. I do all building trades. Took 2 yrs of electrical technology, but as an antiwar hippie, majored in chemistry. Back to earth movement. So monitoring electric use is so cool and A.I. learning to boot and so inexpensive and well though out. Had to try it. With 5 refrigerators, 4 freezers, electric vehicles, split units, 5 buildings, diesel block heaters, animal heated waterers, heat tape, hot tub, electric fence, intelligent toilet, deep well pump, and numerous carpentry tools and five internet hubs, 6 TVs; I am curious at how intelligent Sense is. A lot to figure out. Took only 20 minutes to install on main panel. This is fun already.

Hi- just installed sense last week, I just purchased my first house this year and am enjoying getting smart home devices set up.

I love the idea of sense and cant wait until it’s set up and running. Having some issues now, I have put in a ticket.

First 48 hours were cool. Seeing usage and adding Hue and TP/Kasa smart plugs. signal check never moved past 0% and yesterday I got a notification that there was an error with the instal and now I’m getting no reading on the power meter

I’m excited for the potential of this device and look forward to talking with others soon.

1 Like

Hi, I just installed sense over the weekend on one of two panels (picked the one with more larger devices). I’m an space systems (i.e. satellites) engineer and former repair technician, so I love to tinker (but rarely have the time).
I’m looking at adding solar to house in a year or so, but probably going to tackle energy efficiency issues first (e.g. more insulation / seal air gaps), since it’s a big house and faster return on investment.

I look forward to learning more about how people are using sense, especially, with predicting appliance issues.

Hi, my name is Rod. I installed Sense a couple weeks ago along with a few smart-plugs. A few devices were found after a couple days but nothing for a bit now. I’ll be getting a solar system installed in a few weeks. Looking forward to tracking the production vs. usage.

1 Like

Wondering on our farmette, how it will figure out 8 refrigerators & freezers differentiation, electric fence, intelligent toilet, diesel engine block heater, EV chargers, GEM cart charger, cow waterer, goat & chicken waterers, differentiate between various split unit heat pumps, baseboard heat that has fans, various water heaters. Some of these devices don’t match a typical residence and many will have similar signatures. So far it has found our well pump & one refrigerator. Is there a way to help it, by logging in and flipping devices on & off? The intelligent toilet with auto disinfect, heated seat, heated water wash & heated air dry may be hard to identify as will some of the others. It will be fun to see Sense sort this out.

Welcome !
I heartily recommend that all new users read the Sense technology blogs, especially this one on the ways you can help train Sense.

1 Like

Hi, looking forward to what what sense can teach me about my home.

1 Like

Hello from Charlotte, NC.

What brought you here?
I joined the Sense Community to find out how others are using the technology and find ways that I can improve my own usage and understanding of Sense.

How long have you been using Sense?
I have had Sense installed for about 2 weeks.

What do you do for work?
I am a Systems Architect with Cisco Systems.

What other smart home tech do you have?
I have Wyze cameras, Honeywell T5 thermostats, TP Link WiFi Power Strips, Leviton Decora Smart Switches and Plugs, and Alexa

What’s your favorite type of barbecue?
True bbq - eastern N.C chopped pork- aka bbq. Yes, the vinegar based kind.

@Keef71, welcome to the world of Sense !