New Members/Old Members: Introduce yourself!

Installed Sense in second week of a November 2019. I have Green Mountain Power utility in Vermont and subsidized/linked with Efficiency Vt to obtain Sense. I have TOU rate, Chevy Bolt, cold.climate heat pumps, 5.1 kw solar array on roof. Have wood stove and passive solar as.additional heat supply. Aquanta to monitor and control electric hot water heater which does have TOU capability. Only fossil fuel is small amount of propane for cook stove and wife has ICE car and works from home and her annual mileage is well below US average.

1 Like

Hello all,
Just installed today.
Already seeing usage meter working as expected.
Very cool so far, looking forward to device detection.
I did have to power cycle unit, a few hours after bringing it online (during the signal calibration period and lost about 15 min of data. This happened because on the ssid it is connected to has an allowed MAC only list. Disabled the list, set unit up, then when re-enabling list needed to power cycle to get it back online. Do you think this screwed up my calibration process? Other than that little hiccup, and taking into consideration that is a (somewhat) abnormal thing to have on a network, I am very impressed so far…
Hoping to become active in this community and will keep everyone posted…

-Harrison

Miles… My always on is about 255. 1200sq ft in northern lower mi. Just 2 of us. Mostly wall warts, furnace, tvs and dtv. If you click on your bubble of always on it will give you so info on your AO… Hope this helps… Later… Gerry…

Hi. I’m Dave and I’ve had Sense installed for about 18 months. I live in the metro Dallas, TX area and have been very pleased with Sense’s usefulness and reporting, especially in conjunction with HomeKit/Smart devices. I now have 27 devices completely identified and 9 additional “mystery” devices I’m trying to narrow down. My “Always On” and my “Other” remain elusively high, but we make slow, steady progress. Identifying the remainder is a side project, and I hope to layer in the solar component in the next 24mo, too.

I’m guilty of lurking and learning. Thanks for making such a compelling product!

1 Like

Hello…I just bought and installed Sense just before Christmas and then I left for two weeks on vacation. I have been looking at it trying to verify the devices only since January 6th. I have confirmed a few. I bought this because my house is a energy hog using over 3000kwh each month. It sometimes drops below 3000 in the winter months. I don’t know if anything is wrong but I wanted a way to try and find out.

7 Devices after the first 24 hours.
Very impressed so far!

1 Like

Thanks, I think my always-on is a bit high, so I’ll probably start unplugging wall warts, etc., to see if there are any opportunities for savings.

Hi,

I’m Renard and I’ve been using Sense since October of 2019. I’m an electrical engineer working and living in Newfoundland, Canada.

In addition to Sense in my house I have Google Home, Lutron Caseta lighting controls, D-Link WiFi battery operated water sensors and CE Smart WiFi energy monitoring plugs.

Since October, my Sense monitor has only detected 5 devices.

Thanks

I’m Ryan from Portland, OR. I manage a Zero Energy home certification program for new construction at a non profit here in Portland. Over the past 6 years I’ve slowly converted my 1907 home to an all electric, hopefully zero energy (only time will tell) home of the 21st century. I’ve only had Sense installed for 2 weeks so I’m enjoying geeking out with what I can learn from it thus far.

1 Like

Hi All… Leonard here, just retired to Durango CO and building a new home. I practiced and taught technical aspects of architecture and put lots of it to task here. We are in a SIPS house with about 25% passive heating and 16 pc panels for maybe 20% more contribution, plus off season export to the grid at retail $/kWh. Using an air-to-water heat pump and hydronic floor slab heating and cooling. Sense has been online along with SolarEdge PV monitoring since early Oct. 2019 and we are still commissioning a few items. So far, all the data makes sense. I do have a problem renaming OTHER which very stubbornly does not want to be named a2w-heatpump. BBQ? I have an egg kamado charcoal grille and a propane smoker with an 8 pound cast iron burner.

Hello, Brand new User.

I installed my Sense yesterday, the main reason for the Energy Monitor is to track my Solar Generation, Home Usage, and Power Sent to the Grid. I’ve been reading my Utilities Net Meter daily (In Bound Kwh and Outbound Kwh) as well as my two Sunny Boy Inverters Total Generation. With these four Data points I have been able to see how much Power I use Daily, How much goes to the Grid, my daily consumption, How many Kwh I used of my Solar generation, and a running Total Net of Kwh hours my utility owes in me credits, among other data points and calculations in my spreadsheet.

I really like the one second resolution of Sense, and the Solar Triangle in the Solar Tab. The more data the better I say.

I’m looking forward to device Recognition and being able to track where and how my Electric is used in my home, and any more possible efficiencies. Seems that after one day my Phantom load is about 163 watts for my home. I do have a number of smart devices in home, and the Sense looks to a great addition.

Long time viewer - first time buyer of this type of tech. Want to really see how much power I use vs get from my solar panels. Just installed 1 day ago! Happy so far.

2 Likes

I’m Por from Thailand who want to try this cool gadget.
Of course, the warranty will automatically voided.
And i’m fully aware my risk and accept all of damaged that might occur.

I’m here to confirm that Sense could work with Thai electrical system.
Which us 1 Phase (Non-split like US), 220 Volt, 50 Hertz.
Same as EU-area
I thought it might blow-up ! But after 24 hours, its work fine !
Except, the signal analysis didn’t work
Because i have only one phase of voltage and current reading.
And Sense app saying that i have incorrectly install the product.

Looking forward to see new feature and improvement

I’ve been using sense for a long time (years). Haven’t posted before. I can’t see how to create a post - start a new topic. Am I blind? I’ve used forum software extensively, but maybe not a discourse based forum before.

Yup - just go in and start a new topic in the category you want.

I don’t see a button to start a new topic. Maybe I’m blind. Can you explain where it is on the screen? Thanks… Or does my account have to be validated or something?

Never mind. I see it now. The plus button. I don’t think it was there for me before. Strange.

Its not really documented in the in the “New Members Start here” thread, but, Discourse uses some basic warm up / trust settings to prevent bots / spam etc… (@JustinAtSense, maybe worth an update on that page as this trust stuff comes up from time to time)

You can read about them at the below link. I’m not entirely sure how Sense has tweaked them as they can be customized, but the defaults seem to line up with some of what I’ve seen people here discover.

But TL;DR - You have to take certain actions on the forums as a new user to earn trust to gain further access. So Read X posts, or reply to a forum before getting the ability to start new threads. Or post a certain number of times before you can post images etc…

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, @ben. I’ll be sure to add in a small note to Ryan’s original post on this thread in case this comes up again.

1 Like

Hello, I installed Sense about 2 months ago, and find it very useful. I will have 16.3KW of Solar PV installed in early March.
I use Nexia for my primary home automation along with some other automation tools that are not integrated.
We live in Hawaii and Electricity is very expensive (likely the highest in the US) and using Sense to help better understand where my $$ are going.
-O.D.

1 Like