New Members/Old Members: Introduce yourself!

Hello everyone, been using Sense for 6 months … been having issues with my local public utility …

1 Like

Just purchased over the last weekend and installation worked well. Now getting first few device IDs coming in. Interesting experience so far!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @jgirard.

Jeff here. Had Sense installed about two weeks. I have about a 6kw solar system installed. I am mainly coming to the forums for assistance on device identification.

I have had my Sense about a month, love it. Just now starting to get over the obsession of watching it. I am a manager of a couple of building materials stores. I purchased sense to find a problem with wasted electricity and quickly realized it was my well pump due to an underground leak. In my mind Sense paid for itself, now just a cool gadget. I am sure it will help me identify other problems as they arise.

Wow. I wish we had gotten this years ago. Got sense because we got a $6K bill from the power company?!!?!? They said it was catchup for years of under reads on our old meter. Their new WiFi meter showed triple tipple usage?!???

That was plenty of incentive. Sense is a great tool in a fight against their enigineering group :slight_smile:

1 Like

How could they prove it? I would be raising you know what.

It’s Sense vs their power meter. So let the games begin! :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Rich

1 Like

@richt I saw your post on another thread and would love for you to keep us updated on what happens here. $6K in back-billing might be the highest number i’ve ever seen…

Yes will do. Not fun to set records like this. Am gathering data so we have a good case vs the utility.

Thanks,

Rich

Just know the Sense community is rooting for you. Let us know if we can help further.

Hey All, I’m new to Sense as of the end of Dec 2019. I have two separate power panels so I have two Sense units (with two separate logins). As a Retired AF Electronics person with 30 years of service I feel I have a good grasp on how Sense is working. It’s similar to signature analysis of microcircuits. Most Sense users will not understand this concept and this can drive frustration when hoping Sense is going to magically identify all the variants of items using your power. With that said, I’ve been reading through some of the treads and my statement above is proving true. Most will not understand why they cannot do the identifying of the items that are appearing on their graphs. All I’m hoping is that the team at Sense is reviewing the make/model info when load it against the items identified.

1 Like

Hey folks, new Sense user here. I’ve been reading about it for a while, but my 100-amp panel finally needed to be replaced and I figured this was a good time to make the switch. I’m also in the process of moving from Oil Heat (when I bought the house) to Wood Stove (which has not worked well) to what was supposed to be temporary space heaters, and hopefully soon finally switching to a central heat pump system.
I’m already hooked on the gamification like aspects of sense and electrical sleuthing, I’ve added a pair of HS110’s, and have an 300 series and some more 110’s on the way. I’m rocking a 1700kw Always On, in a small-ish house (1200 sqft) with very few vampires, so I’ve got plenty of work left to do.

4 Likes

Hi my name is Ken and I got sense to understand how my solar panels are performing compared to my daily use. Also looking to areas where we can cut back use. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello! I am new to Sense as of yesterday and loving this so far! I am a detailed oriented person who loves working with data, finding patterns, understanding how things work, and finding/troubleshooting issues. I think this product is a good fit for me.

I am a software engineer of 11yrs, live in an apartment (~825 sqft), and in process of buying my first house. I will be turning it in to a connected home with the Google/Nest ecosystem, but I bought everything now because I’m little impatient and want to play around and tinker with all these new electronics. I have manually tested every major/minor device in my apartment to see how much power everything uses, except for the AC as it is 20F outside, and have a very low always on usage (~65W).

Once I close on the house, I will move the Sense there and have to reset the data (hardware setup change). I’ll export all the data beforehand, so I can have it for future reference. I understand I probably won’t get many devices found in my apartment during this time, but it will still be fun to collect the data to see how everything looks and works together!

1 Like

Hi all! I am Jeremy and actually just installed the Square D branded hardware 3 days ago and have been playing around in the app very impatiently awaiting devices to be found.

From my understanding, the Square D is essentially the same thing run on the same sense app, just with some visual differences. I am hoping I’ve come to the right place for any concerns or discussions regarding my system (particularly app functionality).

I think this forum is a great resource and I’ve been busy reading many peoples topics to learn as much as possible. Nice to meet you all!

2 Likes

Hey Everyone! I’m Chris and just installed my Sense last night. It was having an issue detecting power (one of the mains was always negative) due to me installing one of the clips upside down. Fixed that this morning and just rebooted it. Looking forward to finding out what is causing us to have +$300 power bills in our new house. :slight_smile:

Just starting to get back into home automation. Have a Google Nest mesh WiFi and won a silent auction with ~$1300 of nest equipment (thermostat, smoke detectors, camera, and more). Looking forward to learning a lot more as time progresses on saving money and securing my house.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. I just installed Sense yesterday and I’m so looking forward to it. I lead the engineering team for an electrical distribution cooperative, and I’m excited to see how it works and how we can partner to help serve our members to drive their own energy efficiency and maybe develop new rate offerings. My own home is an extreme energy hog as it was built in the 1970’s with poor insulation, strip heaters, old windows, can lights, and an old hot water heater on its last leg. My power bills range from $110 in the summer to over $600 in the winter. I’m looking forward to documenting improvements and savings with Sense.

We have 8+ Echoes/Alexa’s; a Bond fan control; several different smart plug manufacturers; a Hue lighting system; a Schlage lock; Ring cameras, doorbell, and full security system; Roomba vacuum; LG smart washer; and other smart equipment.

I have been huge into BBQ for the last 20yr and presently use a pellet burner and a stick burner depending on the time. We did a cheesecake a couple of months ago, but generally stick to burgers or chili in the winter. Looking forward to spring time to be able to get back out there.

Thanks for the community. I’m on Twitter @cowboysmurf2.

1 Like

@cowboysmurf I’m definitely going to quote you on this:

That pretty much encapsulates Sense technology … for both those who are optimistic about the technology and those who aren’t. Some may need to parse that quote a couple of times. I did.

Maybe I’ll call this the squirrel attitude. Clearly pragmatic and optimistic.

Sounds like you have the kind of home that is just begging for Sense and the community feedback. “Old hot water heater on its last leg” is going to get you a lot of feedback. That’s like catnip around here.

Welcome.

[FYI: When you’re doing those Winter chili cooks on the outdoor BBQ, keep the door closed! Wonder if Sense will pick up on that??]

Hello all -

Installed the Wiser branded variant of Sense in our home last night, and I have to say the installation, setup, and use of it has been a great experience so far.

Last year we moved into a new to us 1970s ranch house that was built as an all electric house when the promise of cheap nuclear energy was the promise here in New England. That means radiant heat in the ceilings of every room, central air, range/oven, water heater, and dryer are all electric. At some point in the 1990s a gas fired furnace was installed to offset the electric heat and tied into the central AC system ductwork.

We use an Ecobee3 with room sensors to control the central air, gas fired furnace, and whole house humidifier. Additionally, we have also replaced two of the vintage analog thermostats for the electric radiant ceiling heat with Mysa Smart Thermostats in our master bedroom and living room. The Mysa thermostats allow us to provide supplemental heat to those two rooms in the evenings and let the rest of the house to cool down to a lower setpoint. I don’t know if Mysa offers an API that can share data with Sense like they have with the Ecobee API, but that would be a welcome addition in my use case.

Last week our 10.7KW PV system finally came on line, and I was very disappointed in the 3-day delay in production data available from our solar company’s backend system. Sense had been on my radar for years, but with the addition of the solar production monitoring it really made it easy to finally pull the trigger.

Fingers crossed that device detection goes well, but even with the data I am seeing now on aggregate usage and production I would be satisfied.

Looking forward to seeing more data, and everything that will lead to.

-mals

3 Likes