New subpanel

We may be getting a new addition to hour home and our existing electrical panel is just loaded and likely will need a subpanel.

Does this mean the stuff added/migrated to the new subpanel won’t be detected? Would I need another sense (if so would the app detect this) ?

1 Like

New devices on that subpanel (assuming it’s fed from the same panel Sense is installed in) will be detected by Sense as if they were installed in the main panel.

Devices that are moved from one panel to the other may have issues if they are moved to a different leg of service, which is a 50/50 chance for each device. Either your electrician needs to plan for this and keep everything on the same leg it was originally resident on, or you need to consider a data reset on your Sense monitor when everything is changed around.

2 Likes

Hi thanks for the response.

I know next to nothing about panels, etc.

Does this mean a subpanel has stuff moved over to it, and one of the clamps/rings will be on there, and the other will remain on the existing? I don’t mind having to do a full reset of everything if needed.

Your Sense CT clamps will remain in the same place they are today: on the power feed to the main panel. The devices attached to the subpanel will be measured by those same CTs as well, since the subpanel is fed from the main panel.

2 Likes

I had 1 main breaker panel 200 amp 240 volt singel phase grid tied loaded to the max with 240 volt breakers randomly placed along with 120 volt tandem breakers also randomly placed. This original set up was making a lot of heat which only does 1 thing and that is rise causing other breakers to operate hotter then needed. Along with tandem breakers which also add more heat then needed. What most electricians won’t tell you is that by taking 1 single pole breaker off a buss bar and replacing with a tandem breaker you have now doubled the heat factor in that same location. The fix for the original over loaded over heated inside Sq D Homeline main breaker panel was to move the main breaker panel outside to a Sq D QO following distance from grid meter to the new main breaker oridance. And breaking the buildings heavy 240 loads into subpanels much closer to those heavy wattage loads. This allowed larger wire from the new main to each new subpanels needed to operate and disapaite the heat factor much more efficiently. To prove this theory

I left the Wiser Energy monitor hooked to the original main breaker for 1 month and then moved it into the relocated outside main for 1 month. The 2 month’s of data proves a more steady balanced approach was achieved along with thermostat readings recorded thru out the up grade process

1 Like

Nice panel work there.

Thanks always great to hear positive feedback

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.