Notification from Labs

got a request here…

me and a friend both have Sense in different cities & power companies… we’ve been having some breaker problems and have learned that a low voltage from the utilities can cause a device/appliance to ramp up amperage to get the watts it needs to work… that increase in amps causes breakers to trip since breakers only watch amps in the circuit… we’ve been seeing anywhere from 93-130v ranges…

now our utilities actually have a number & email to submit voltage issues to, and they are proactive to fix these… what I’d like to have is a notification that lets me know when the voltage is too low or too high, so I can then notify my utility and fix the issue…

I believe I’ve come across another true use of Sense…

2 Likes

@HiTechRedNeck , good suggestion. Will the utility also accept past history waveforms ? Or do they need real-time alert ? I guess some people would probably want the alert just to go and look at Power Quality.

ps: @JuliaAtSense, I hope Sense is looking at this one as they work to make Sense Labs Power Quality more consistent and reliable when it comes to updating.

1 Like

I like this idea also but I would suggest allowing us to set the high and low alarms for users like me that have it installed in a 220V panel outside the US. I’m in the Philippines and the voltage here is supposed to be 220V 60Hz but currently I am seeing 253V and 60.5Hz but that is to be expected here because the Philippines power grid is not like the US and there are many issues.

2 Likes

If a 20 year old UPS can e-mail voltage alerts, I don’t see any reason why Sense can’t.

4 Likes