Power quality during windstorm, display issue

Had a large windstorm yesterday, about 20,000 without power. Lines and poles down couple transformers blew around us. We never completely lost power but quite a few large dips.
The graph is delayed as usual, but notice how both graphs on cell appear to be cut off, more apparent in landscape mode.

Cell phone portrait mode:

Cell phone landscape mode:

Computer web app:

2 Likes

I saw a similar thing. I would like to see these dips/spikes show in real time as a message on the phone app. This would be an incredible feature to add to the justification of my 2 sense units. I will then be able to decide if I am going to turn off the breakers to sensitive or high value equipment or proactively put my home on the standby 20KW generator. The quality of the power is much better with the genny anyway

2 Likes

I agree 100%!

This is what I see now.

Everything between approx… 2pm on the 26th and 7pm on the 26th is gone forever with no possible way to go back and see exactly what took place. If I had access to a graph during the entire event I would know exactly what took place, when and for how long. The time stamps on the right are far far less useful.
“Voltage dips and Spikes” comparison is pretty much useless if it only accounts for whatever (seemingly random) time period the graph happens to show which is never current or scalable.

Because I was able to screen capture a small period of time using the WEB app that shows strong dips beginning right around 12:30pm (notice both mobile versions cut them off) I can see EXACTLY when a primary pole broke 1 mile away, when the pole caught fire and when 2 transformers blew, all on another main from the substation 1.5 mi away. If I could see just a little more I could probably make out when some transmission lines went down about 4miles away and some other the other downed lines all around.

Right before the big dips the wind really picked up causing a Verizon Fiber pole directly across the street to snap at its base. Amazingly We never lost Fios (or power) despite our lines 2ft above the road and the pole severely leaning into it. Sheriffs showed up to block the road, but morons kept trying to go by. Right as I brought him out a bunch of traffic cones and pulled my truck out to help block he got the call about the burning poles and had to take off. The next 9hrs I kept the road shut down. About 6hrs in the towns disaster coordinator was finally able to get the county to drop some signage (which people still ignore) and a Verizon supervisor to start rolling a truck our way.

The power quality isn’t quite back as they have a lot of work to go on the grid but nearly everyone is back up.

Imagine if someone took out our power lines causing damage, having a graph, being able to pinpoint the exact moment it happened and what exactly did happen and how it caused the damage would be priceless evidence. As of now it would be a matter of luck checking constantly hoping the graph at some point might show a given time period.
If the graph was current we were away alerts would be invaluable. Being able to rush home or send someone over to take action before disaster.

Another thing if you look the graph right about 1pm 3/27 you clearly see a dip down to about 111-112v on what appears to be both legs. they must have switched something over at the time as the quality appears to have cleared up dramatically shortly after. NOTHING regarding that is shown under “recent voltage dips and spikes”. In fact if you look at “voltage dips and spikes” “last 30 days” the total number actually dropped.

If this is something you want right now, you can do it with Home Assistant pretty easily. I don’t know if it will catch very brief drops, but it may.

Here is an example automation that sends a notification to my phone if L1 or L2 voltage goes above 125V or below 115V:

- id: '1616957260720'
  alias: Sense - Voltage deviance
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
    - sensor.l1_voltage
    - sensor.l2_voltage
  condition:
  - condition: or
    conditions:
    - condition: numeric_state
      entity_id: sensor.l1_voltage
      above: '125'
      entity_id: sensor.l2_voltage
      above: '125'
      entity_id: sensor.l1_voltage
      below: '115'
      entity_id: sensor.l2_voltage
      below: '115'
  action:
  - device_id: 694aff6edad60f505e9eb36cb02605c0
    domain: mobile_app
    type: notify
    title: Voltage is abnormal
    message: Voltage is abnormal at {{ trigger.to_state.state }}V
  mode: single

It will look something like this when it triggers (I adjusted the threshold to get a screenshot):

The device ids will depend on your specific Home Assistant instance.

2 Likes