Removing APP buttons from the Discourse APP display?

Is there a menu option to hide these ‘buttons’? Thanks

3 Likes

Same on my iphone. Really annoying.

2 Likes

Not speaking for Sense, but from what I have seen from multiple websites recently, state and EU privacy laws have pushed companies with websites to offer easy-to-access Cookie control panels. I don’t know the exact legal formulation today, but I’m guessing that some geographies require a link to the control to alway be visible, even on mobile apps.

My understanding of the rules and at least how I’ve seen them implemented at a few companies I do work for: GDPR makes it so that you have to have the pop up / prominent “hey, if you want to change your cookies, do it here”, but then unless you reject all the cookies (which means it doesn’t remember that you rejected them on each visit), it remembers that you made a choice and no longer shows you the pop up. If you want to change it later, you do need a way to get there, but it can be on a help page, page footer or somewhere else that is “reasonably accessible” (not buried 9 layers deep on a random page like it used to be.
The discourse template may make it harder to find the “reasonably accessible”, but generally yes, I find it bad implementation when these hover buttons not only persist, but also cover content / get in the way of using the site.

What is funny is that the cookie pro button is not on the sense.com homepage or home.sense.com.

Then the Help / Support button has just gotten worse in the last week as now it has the ever rotating text and glowing button just shouting “click me” which I find incredibly annoying.
While yes, these forum pages are often used for “support”, I find much of the conversation here are not articles covered in tech articles and I would rather the button go away and just be on the actual help.sense.com page.
But maybe Sense has the click data to show that people actually use it here, but personally I would assume most people only find the community based on Google searches / indexing rather than the actual sense website since the link to the community is not exactly easy to find.

3 Likes

Hey everyone, thanks for your feedback here. We know that on the desktop and mobile versions of our Discourse platform our self-service help tool rotates what it offers. We decided to stop the rotation and have it just say “Help & FAQ.” We understand how this feature in the mobile view might be distracting and annoying, but it does offer quick solutions and different options to talk with our Support team. We hope this fix improves your experience. Please let me know if you have any other recommendations!

3 Likes

@JuliaAtSense

You asked for additional feedback. On my phone, the orange ‘Help & FAQ’ hover button resides over the top of the ‘view latest’ link. If I try to click on ‘view latest’, I always get the HELP link. This isn’t a problem on the WEB APP because my screen is larger. Maybe other users have a larger phone screen and this HELP button doesn’t cover up the ‘view latest’ link. I don’t need to use the HELP & FAQ feature, so this link is more of a nuisance for me. I would prefer a method to completely disable showing this orange SENSE hover button - maybe a menu option. Also I don’t need see the green CookiePro hover button. For new users, I can see where these hover buttons might be helpful.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification here @Dcdyer. I’m going to talk to some Sense team members internally about this feature to see what we can do moving forward.

1 Like

@JuliaAtSense, this Help & FAQ link also now breaks DiscordHub functionality. I can no longer access the UI elements of DiscourseHub to change to other non-Sense communities. The back button is incredibly hard to hit without hitting the cookies button. The cookies button also partially blocks save/edit and other buttons depending on where you are. :frowning:

3 Likes

Well, looks like 1 of 2 have been fixed. :slightly_smiling_face: Now only the cookies button is blocking buttons.

3 Likes

Anyone else have these icons from Sense covering the DiscourseHub navigation UI?

I can no longer switch to other communities if I enter the Sense one without force-quitting the app. Other communities do not appear to have these enabled.

2 Likes

This cookie thing has got to go. Other websites ask to accept or reject them as a popup. Once selected it disappears forever. No idea why Sense keeps this icon around & in the way.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.