Sense vs. Ecobee: Round II

Updated on 7/24 - added 3 more weeks of graphs

I decide to revisit my AC Sense vs. Ecobee correlation results with a little more of the cooling season under my belt. I had gotten a little concerned since Sense seemed to be falling off in it’s ability to correlate with my Ecobee, especially upstairs, where my AC unit was running far more than downstairs. You can see that Sense’s detection of my upstairs compressor (AC2) dipped for a few weeks, below. The number at the bottom indicates the number of hours that the AC had been running for that weeklong period.

I decided to push a little deeper into seeing what happened during the weeks of May 18 th through Jun 22nd, so I converted Ecobee runtime data into energy data based on my upstairs unit running at about 2.5kW (my unit’s rating - in blue), then plotted against the Sense hourly data for my AC2 device (in red). Sense nailed it during the first week and last week in that list, but had some correlation issues in the middle - what was different ?

In weeks 2-5, it looks like Sense has trouble keeping track of all day runs of the upstairs AC, while it seems very accurate on shorter runs or even all day runs with breaks in the middle. I’m guessing Sense might time out, thinking it missed an off signature after 4 hours of continuous running.

1 Like