Show Net Usage in Sense Dashboard instead of Total Usage for Solar Users

If Sense wants users to see matching/similar usage info between Sense and the user’s Net Meter. Right now there can be a substantial difference between the Dashboard and Net Usage. For my current billing, I’m seeing 10% more usage than my bill shows. The 130kWh from Solar should be subtracted from the main dashboard reading.

7 Likes

agreed. could be nice to have the solar being tracked in that graph. My solar system only monitor production. They do have an option(add on module) to gather usage similar to Sense. Sense already has that data…just need it graphed, Not critical… just a wish list item

2 Likes

Good point.

Since I have this issue with having a hybrid inverter, my indications are even further off the utility company

Subtracting solar from usage would yield: 420-200=220kWh used

According to my utility company:

In my case (again hybrid inverter) Sense is showing 220/716 = 31% of real life usage.
But with the power line CT’s they should have been able to calculate the real usage of my (and anyone else’s) system.

Hope @JamesDrewAtSense takes a look at this.

1 Like

This graphically shows the difference. I have two different Sense monitors - one (black background) that is connected to my Solar, and therefore produces true Total Usage that is actual total house usage, and one that looks only at my mains without seeing my solar, so it’s Total Usage is actually my Net Usage (white background). Same billing cycle, same mains.

2 Likes

My Solar installer looked at my power panel, and made the decision that the Enphase CT-200-Split Consumption Current Transformers would not fit, and opted not to install them, and not tell me of this feature.

Looking at the Enphase Enlighten app on my iPhone, I noticed from the screen shots on the app store that I was seeing info that I did not see in my app.

Taking a look at my power panel bus bars where the Sense CT Clamps where installed, and studying the pics of the Enphase CT-200-Split’s, I ordered two off of ebay for $20 (retails for about $50) and had the installer return and install them. They fit around the bus bars, and now I have very useful info that shows me the the additional info of, in the example below: 2.9 kWh imported from SDG&E, 7.5 kWh Consumed by the house, 32.2 kWh Exported to the SDG&E with a net Export of 29.3 kWh hours for the day.

Where the orange bars start is where we restored power with those Enphase CT-200-Splits installed, prior to this, I only saw the blue “Produced” in the graph, and only saw the solar production number.

If you have the option of installing Consumption CTs that tie into your solar system, I highly recommend it.

Enphase Enlighten app before Enphase Consumption CT-200-SPLITs installed:

and after Enphase CT-200-SPLITs were installed:

Enphase CT-200-Splits installed right next to the Sense CT Clamps:

FYI, Enphase has come out with a Enphase CT-200-CLAMP that looks somewhat similar, but smaller overall than the Sense CT Clamps. Which will be better as the CT-200-SPLITs as you can see are quite bulky

SJ

2 Likes