Smart Plug limit?

I see there’s a document saying there’s a limit of about 20 smart plugs for Sense, but right now I’m sitting at 31 total (3 HS300’s, plus half a dozen HS110’s and a single WeMo). Far as I can tell, not having any issues, but I’m curious why, and what issues I’d see if there were problems.

Thanks!

I’m above the limit as well at about 31. I went above because there was originally some vagueness in whether an HS300 counted as one or 6 when fully populated. I started seeing the Sense monitor drop offline for short periods intermittently. The dropouts grew more and more frequent as time went by, basically because the monitor gets overloaded doing all it’s usual stuff plus managing too much smart plug data. If you encounter the same issue, Sense support can apply a workaround that’s not perfect, but works for me.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks!

Guessing the ~20 is just to be safe. I’m on a unifi setup know and all my IoT stuff (Sense included as well as smart plugs) all live on their own SSID/vlan. I don’t see anything indicating Sense dropping offline, or it being overloaded, but suppose could be happening and I don’t notice.

Glad to know there’s a workaround if needed.

Thanks!

I don’t think you’ll see any indications of the issue from your networking gear. The Sense monitor stays online and continues to transmit and receive data. It just gets backlogged processing and managing data and loses some. It will show up as your usage (and solar production) dropping to zero for a few seconds at the start to many minutes as time goes by.

2 Likes

This is the error that I am getting now