Smart plug power data glitches

I think Sense and Kasa talk to TP-Link smartplugs via TCP port 9999, but from what I remember from using Wireshark is that the communication is all UDP packets and protocol. Sense sends a UDP multicast broadcast with the following “emeter” request to port 9999:

{“system”:{“get_sysinfo”:null},“emeter”:
{“get_realtime”:null}}

All the TP-Link devices that have power monitoring respond back to the Sense via a UDP packet containing the status, including the power reading (or not, subject to any temporal networking or device issues). AFAIK, neither TP-Link or Wemo Insight have any local timestamped log of monitored data, but the TP-Link must have some kind of daily and monthly accumulators to support the API commands below:

Get Daily Statistic for given Month
{“emeter”:{“get_daystat”:{“month”:1,“year”:2016}}}

Get Montly Statistic for given Year
{“emeter”:{"“get_monthstat”:{“year”:2016}}}

Bottom line - As @RyanAtSense suggests, it’s probably best to contact support, since any one of a number of things could be stoppering up the communication. It would be great if the Sense/smartplug communication was end-to-end guaranteed, but the TP-Link protocol really doesn’t support it. I do wish two things:

1. Sense would mark the data differently so we could tell the difference between a true 0 and NA (not available).
  2. Sense would flag excess NA generation, either from smartplugs for from the CT main/solar measurements, so they could trap any issues with the Sense monitor and I could check my network more quickly for issues.

I kind of alluded to that in this wishlist item here. Like this request to help influence this a new feature.

1 Like