Sony 77” 4K OLED TV

Make: Sony
Model: XBR77A9G
How identified: Smart plug

Additional Comments:
Thanks to little extra disorder in our family room, I was allowed to put a non-aesthetic HS110 on our TV. Due to physical clearances with the wall mount and recessed power, I can’t put the TV on permanent HS110, so it gets the Traveller this week.

Power Specs: *
POWER CONSUMPTION (IN OPERATION) - 653 W
POWER CONSUMPTION (IN STANDBY) - 0.5 W

Detailed View:

The Device Power Meter highlights power usage in standby and on mode with 4 different video streams, all coming from a 4K AppleTV.

The first segment is standby mode power usage after powering up the HS110 - 26W. I gotta figure out why it’s at 26W vs 0.5W

The second segment is the static AppleTV menu - Even though the display is static power, usage elevates to about 400W, then drifts down to around 350W. Oddly the power seemed to plunge every time I moved the cursor across the screen.

Next a couple of Karaoke sessions with the The Script and Rihanna. I should be clear that the audio is routed through the stereo and external speakers so the power utilization is primarily flowing to video processing and the screen. What’s fascinating is that a slowly moving screen uses less power than a static one, and Rihanna uses far more power than The Script :wink:

The final segment is a fast moving clip from the 4K version of Ford vs. Ferrari. Oddly, power drops again when displaying 4K details at dizzying speed. Go figure - not as expected.

Waveform Source. Device Power Meter (Using HS110)

Update: Another long session with the TV on and connected (mostly) to the AppleTV 4K. The repeating pattern is a set of screen saver videos.

And an even longer term view. 5 days of the TV on my Traveller

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.

I’m curious as to why the wattage would drop-off for a 4K movie. Any guesses? I’m thinking the fluorescent backgrounds might be to blame.

Good question. Not a lot of clues and a lot of technical jargon in the video specifications.

The panel itself should use the least power when black, most power when white. And all blue screen should consume more than a red which should use more than a green, based on what I have read. But my results seem to be reversed.

I’m betting the big difference in in what the video processor is doing. They are typically optimized for the video stream decode, so having to process a static screen or only a slightly changing one, might actually push the processor harder.

1 Like

I’m also trying to figure out why my off/standby power is so high (26W vs. 0.5W)… There are few possible hints in the manual.

*2 The Google Assistantor voice search with the built-in MIC is available only on limited region/country/language. Standby power consumption will increase because the built-in MIC is always listening when the Google Assistant or voice search with the built-in MIC is enabled.

*5 Specified standby power is reached after the TV finishes necessary internal processes.

*6 Standby power consumption will increase when your TV is connected to the network.

1 Like