To help with the data analysis, and to see what devices people are using (as opposed to what is already detected by Sense), what if users were able to enter a device’s attributes to essentially be a wish list of items they’d like to be eventually able to be seen.
Eg. Say I have a device like a TV that I’d like to be detected. I would enter information like
- Device Type: TV
- Manufacturer: BigName TV Manufacturer
- Model #: abc123xyz
- Voltage: 120V (as opposed to 240V)
- Which side of mains the power usage shows up on (Left or Right) (This might help in data analysis by halving the data to look at)
- Approximate power usage: 120 watts
- Standby power (if known): 6 watts
This would allow better data analysis for Sense by knowing what devices people wanted to track. Maybe it would even help if we tagged a device we put in at times we turn it on and turn it off.
While I realize that there is no guarantee that our device will be recognized somewhere down the road, I think it might help with both data analysis and popularity of specific devices.