Temp and/or Humidity Sensor? In built

Does Sense have any internal temp. sensor and/or humidity sensor in-built? If yes I propose building capabilities surrounding it. For example, in many cases the device itself is located INSIDE the panel. Thus, if device detects a sudden increase in temp. it should generate an ASAP alert for home owner?

Humidity sensor if available will also be very helpful here. Humidity is a root cause for oxidation and other related failures. Humidity means water and everyone knows water and electricity aren’t friends. Most homes have outside lines coming in and are prone to weatherization failures leading to water entering the panel. Sense can be a God send here to warn homeowners that it detected a sudden increase in humidity.

Most electronics devices have an on chip temp sensor somewhere, but that is useless for measuring ambient temperature. My solution for what you are asking for has been to station an Ecobee sensor in my service closet where my panel and Sense are located. I don’t worry about alerts but do watch the numbers over time and use the Ecobee data export to chart a time history.

I had done the same with 14 remote sensors around my house.

After connecting Sense to HA, I began having real concerns about the Ecobee accuracy.

I’ve added an Awair as well as 8 Ecowitt Sensors and can safely say the Ecobee +/- 1 degree only exists from 71 to 76 degrees F.

Outside of those ranges the Ecobee sensors can be upward of 16 degrees off. And they spike up and down constantly and significantly.

So I would not put a lot of faith into an Ecobee sensor at this time, especially for the purpose stated.

1 Like

@Beachcomber, are those first gen or second gen Ecobee sensors ? I ask because I use second gen for the parts of my house that venture outside of the 65-75 degree band. I chose second gen for those, not because of accuracy, but because they have a far larger battery and longer range. They seem to work well for my application - looking at the temps in my registers closest to the upstairs and downstairs furnaces (plus attic and service closet)

Second Gen Smart Sensors.

You will also note all the Ecobee Sensors spike in the direction of less error (real temp) at the same time.

Considering how much more accurate the Ecowitt sensors are for $12 each from Amazon (and they measure humidity and DewPoint as well, I’d rather use those to emulate the Ecobee Sensors via HA if I can figure out how.

Look at all the Ecobee Sensors (and Thermostat) over 2 hours.

Notice how they all seem to “spike” at the same time.

Added more graphs above.

I literally have hundreds more showing Ecobee spiking and odd man out.

Using the same logic NASA used years ago, use 3 computers and use the 2 that agree, Ecobee is ALWAYS the odd unit off from the others.

Thanks - I see the same, but even with the jaggies, the sensors are accurate enough to give me a read on whether my HVAC is working effectively. I mostly rely on the relative temperatures. My upstairs register measurement is located in the attic, my downstairs register measurement is in the crawlspace under the house.

Upstairs
You can see the one brief run of the AC yesterday. Dropped the upstairs register temp by 10 degrees in almost no time.

Downstairs

I don’t see the spikes moving in unison on yours that I see on all mine.

The upstairs register (in my attic) looks similar, especially as it creeps above 75 degrees. The rest are better behaved.

I also have around 6 ecobee sensors and also SmartThings various motion sensors who all do temp. Yes there are discrepancies across both but frankly for +3 years now I don’t really see an issue. I feel we aren’t in a lab here where a 1 to 3 degree difference can mean life or death.

The area where I feel having ecobee remote sensors to manage virtual zoning vs alternative mechanisms shines is its motion sensitivity. I used to use RACINE (or sounding similar) name’s offering in SmartThings to control my HVAC whose thermostat was ecobee. However, it was all over the place, i.e. 66.5 and then sometime later 70.2, etc. etc. However, ecobee motion sensors trigger algorithm is way better. Stays in motion state longer but at the same time doesn’t kick in for every motion, etc. I’d say the accurate temp readings are offset by advanced motion sensing capabilities realizing itself into higher savings ultimately. So I went all native and have ecobee room sensors controlling my HVAC.
@kevin1 I have rooms near the HVAC which rather quickly react to the temp. changes. Upstairs there’s an east facing room which gets really hot - fast. Thankfully ecobee offers this feature on thermal cutoff which I am using heavily. I keep a 10F difference and between those and others if ecobee finds greater than 10F just ignores that sensor’s readings.

1 Like

Upwards of 16 degrees is not a degree.

And Ecobee not releasing Occupancy flag for 32 to 44 minutes isn’t great either.

As I stated previously, this is the sweet spot where Ecobee Sensors are most accurate. 71.9 - 75.9 degrees.

Obviously, 99.99999999999999999999999% will be using them for this function, so I understand most very few would be concerned.

1 Like

Yup - the Awair I have in my office tracks very closely with my Ecobee sensor. I’ll have to do the comparison chart of temp and humidity to see !