The King of Always On

Yes, I have 8 HS110s installed. I installed them last year to get my Always On number down. I think the calculation has gotten better. My Always On changes several times a day now. This morning it was 409 and it’s now 318 and it’ll change again before morning.

That fits with what I have seen. I think Always On still looks at a long period of time, but does a better job assessing the real minimums for both for whole house usage, plus each smartplug device, while rejecting short data dropouts (they look like zero power usage). Plus Sense seems to do a better job of rolling calculations, updating Always On more frequently as you suggest.

Here is my January 2019 Report. However, during February 2019 - I’ve successfully reduced Always On (163 watts) to (114 watts). Still targeting to break and sustain, below 100 watts. I’m completely open to all suggestions!

Always On (Monthly History):

1. 120.6 kWh - January 2019
  2. 122.6 kWh - December 2018
  3. 125.8 kWh - November 2018
  4. 135.0 kWh - October 2018
  5. 233.9 kWh - September 2018
  6. 157.0 kWh - August 2018
  7. 216.3 kWh - July 2018
  8. 178.6 kWh - June 2018
  9. 119.8 kWh - May 2018
  10. 99.0 kWh - April 2018
  11. 112.7 kWh - March 2018
  12. 164.0 kWh - February 2018
  13. 205.5 kWh - January 2018

2 Likes

What was contributing to your always on power; what did you to reduce it?
My always on hovers around 350W … but i’m having trouble getting it down.

1 Like

Old cable boxes and TVs suck a lot of power. I had an old TV that drew 17W in standby mode.
Even my new AV AMP seems to be using 5W (I thought most new devices should use less than one watt in Standby mode).
As others have said, flip the breakers to see what is being used.

2 Likes

Jon…

Thanks for the wisdom… I literally am a believer in every syllable of your response. I’m moving to replace the supporting wall outlets with Smart Outlets. This fully eradicates Vampire Power, when the outlet is set to “off”.

The March 2019 Sense Monitor Report will tell the tale of my efforts, targeting 50-70 watt Always On!

2 Likes

serovner86…

I’m not a “minimalist”, but I am a “Smart Home” homeowner. The contributing factor for my Always On peak (233.9 watts) in September 2018, was fully based upon my lack of understanding of “Vampire Power”. I’ve utilized a total 1,870.1 kWh of Always On, during the 2018 calendar-year - which comprised 31.5% of my annual 2018 electrical usage.

Prior Corrective Actions/Learnings:

1. I stopped focusing on “Other” and exercised patience, allowing the Sense Monitor to complete its device identification process
  2. Smart Plugs/Outlets - Fully eradicates resulting Vampire Power, when turned-off and allows voice-control
  3. Strategically installed multiple generic Smart Plugs, through-out the home
  4. IFTTT (if this, then that) - Programmatically controlled (on/off) installed Smart Plugs
  5. Always On
    a. Unplugged basement dehumidifier, when not in use
    b. Attic Fan - Replaced direct hardwired connection with an electrical outlet and plug
    c. Added generic Smart Plug to Attic Fan and controlled with IFTTT application

Upcoming Actions:

1. Wall-mounted TVs and Speakers - Replace associated wall-outlets with Smart Outlets
  2. Replace current Smart Plugs with Smart Outlets, as appropriate
  3. Voice Control the new outlets (on/off)
  4. Monitor essential Always On devices (Furnace, Water Heater, Dishwasher, Oven, Refrigerator, Washer, and Dryer)
  5. Final Target - Maintain an Always On usage within a 50-70 watt range
2 Likes

I have a few wireless access points, house cameras, server, radon fan … so just those consume around 200w.

1 Like

There’s room for additional reduction, especially for those with motors or large power supplies (Server and Radon Fan). 200 watts is a considerable pool. The internal cameras and Wireless Access Points won’t move the needle as much as the Server and Radon Fan.

Best of all outcomes in your reduction of Always On (350 watts) efforts! What is your target-goal, regarding Daily Electrical Usage?

I’m jealous of the numbers shown here. I need to put some more focus on finding my always on load.
Here’s my Jan report.

1 Like

Ouch.

Here’s mine

I guess there’s not enough users in Idaho to compare, so I’m getting compared to “all users”
I’m aiming to change that with my new company I just started :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing… Hopefully, you’ll revisit this thread monthly to share your updates! In a short-time, you’ll become “envied” by others.

Congratulations for being Lower than 70%… Thanks for sharing your January report… Please continue uploading your monthly reports, so that we see your progress!

The reports can vary considerably. We always have someone working from home so the heat or A/C will be running longer than others that don’t.

A pool pump/heater or well pump will add to totals.
Crappy old A/C or heating units won’t help. Neither will inefficient Hot water heaters.
Old fridges suck. Ours is almost 30% of our winter bill.
Poorly insulated or designed houses don’t help. The cost of fixing them can take decades to recoup.

To be fair, I do have a Tesla and charging it is about half of my usage.

3 Likes

That would account for the 1,906 average wattage (higher than 65%)… 100% electric and 100% beautiful life! Now, I’m envious!

Where do you live? Everyone else has the state they live in listed in the monthly report but yours appears to be all Sense users. Or is that a setting somewhere? I couldn’t find one.

I’m in Meridian, ID and yeah there do not seem to be enough Sense users in my state to compare to so I get compared to “All users”. Working on changing that though :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t see a comparison to “All Sense Users” as a bad thing. Actually, I’d enjoy a dual-comparison (local state) and (all Sense users). It would help me to fully understand my electrical usage.

2 Likes

Yeah both would be great, just having the comparison against all Sense users isn’t very useful, since they’re spread over such a large geographical scale. Comparing someone in Minnesota that has their gas heater running to stay warm, vs someone in Florida that’s running their A/C 18 hours a day doesn’t seem very useful to me.