Total units in use today?

I apologize if this has been answered but I didn’t find anything using the keywords I thought would provide an answer.
Does anyone how may unit’s are in use or have been sold?
Or, how many community members there are?
I’m curious to know how fast or slow sales have been over time

1 Like

I would guess that the folks at Sense do not want to reveal that because of impact by competitors.

Your probably right. Makes me wonder. Usually a company that has the largest market share of a product is very proud about the numbers. Sense looks like it’s growing.

Yeah, can’t discuss install base.

For Community, you can see some user stats by clicking the hamburger icon in the top right and navigating to About.

Not even a ballpark? 5,000-10,000 / 10,000-20,000 etc? :slight_smile:

Here’s the best I can give you. It took me a while to get this number, so I hope it helps.

A whole lot more than a little, but a little bit less than an insane heckuva lot. :abacus:

5 Likes

:rofl: Clever Boy! LOL!

Hey, it’s Friday. What can I say? :grin:

Okay, so let me ask another way that’s less revealing. I’m sure there is a goal number that’s trying to be reached. Can you disclose that without using some outrageous number but what it truly is?
There is a whiteboard somewhere that has amount today and goal

Lots of whiteboards and lots of spreadsheets, but they’re not public. We occasionally have webinars and other sorts of events where we’re willing to share this sort of thing (they’re covered by an NDA). I announce them on here, so watch for those.

I don’t think you’ll find our privacy on this matter to be too rare in the tech world.

That’s pretty much the final official word on this subject.

1 Like

It’s understandable and needs to be protected.
Thought I’d ask anyway, I’m not bothered by an answe of no.

Sadly a huge majority of the same people who willingly agree to NDA’s are the first to just blindly ignore them. Look at things like Apple’s beta program for example - Apple will release a developer beta under NDA…and inside 60 seconds all the nuts and bolts of the release are spewed all over Twitter and every tech website on the face of the planet.

Very true. I worked for May years as a field superintendent for a masonry company. (Brick, block and stone). Because of my position in knowing the bits and bolts and specific details of our bidding and estimating, I had to sign a NDA when I left that particular company. It was a little odd for that line of work and imthw wat jobs were so very close to the same anyway, it wasn’t necessary.
Computer sciences is much different.

It’s a no-win question for a startup:
A) it’s lower than people think (quite common). Potential customers are scared off thinking the company will fail.
B) it’s in line with expectations. Nothing is gained nor lost.
C) it’s higher than expected. Competition from the larger incumbents is encouraged. The nightmare scenario is someone like Lutron or Siemens entering this market in anger before you have a defensible moat of users and data.

If I had to guess, the issue is A). It’s a pricey product with a high barrier to installation. In SF, an electrician coming out will cost you $1000. The number of people willing to stick their nose in an electrical panel is pretty limited too.

That’s an outrageous price for a 30 minute call, tops.
I have pretty severe physical limitations by most standards
due to poor health and I still installed on my own. There is
so little to do and its so easy I don’t even care to use the
term “install”

Haha, nice.

I think that calling around and getting some competing quotes would be prudent as I can’t possibly imagine how any electrician could justify $1000 for what is effectively a 5 minute job for them.

I did my own install, but even if I did call an electrician I’d have expected to pay around $100 which is the bare minimum for them to show, which considering their overhead and training, I’d consider fair.

that’s a fair price at $100 just to show. I was a masonry contractor
and the overhead for things like permits, worker compensation, FICA,
unemployment, license fees and a minimum of $2,000,00 in liability
insurance take a big chunk off the top.

I did my own install as well. I agree it’s easy, but it’s too scary for most people.

The prices here are market forces. Very few electricians left in the market plus high cost of living and older, complicated homes. They set their prices based on what they can make at other jobs.

When we sold my grandparents house in 2012. we had to take a lower price
because it still had knob and tube in the original dwelling and the buyer wanted to
bring it to current code.