Trouble Identifying a device

Any heater that plugs into a regular receptacle is not DC. Did you mean resistive?

1 Like

Yes, there can be - the outdoor unit typically has a compressor heater that can keep consuming electricity even when the system isn’t on, providing the breaker feeding it still is.

That having been said, although the wattage kinda fits, the exact timing doesn’t - I would expect it to be much more random.

Regardless, an easy way to find out if this may be tied to the dormant AC somehow is to flip the 240V breaker that feeds it and see if your mystery consumption disappears. Hopefully your Sense unit isn’t on that breaker. :wink:

I also don’t understand the reference to DC. Every device or appliance in the home that uses electricity is AC.

Yes, bad language. I meant devices that are uninteresting in frequency space. Resistive loads at 60Hz are a good example. Motors that fail to have unique harmonic signatures are another. DC is certainly a variant, but typically wouldn’t be much wattage.

I got a new detection that I e narrowed down to the refrigerator defrost cycle. It is very similar to yours, running once a day but occasionally twice.
It’s 451 watts.
On the device page here is an image of the stats for comparison to what you are seeing. Note: this shows on 30x a month.
Runs for about ten minutes

The Central AC does have it’s own breaker so I should be able to shut it off for a few days and see if the device disappears. maybe over this weekend.

I can try moving my TP-link to the kitchen fridge but it’s difficult to access.
we’ll see how motivated I am this weekend to pull it way from the wall.
Thanks

I’ll post in a few days with results.

This topic was automatically closed after 240 days. New replies are no longer allowed.