What's new in v23 and Web App v5.5: Smarts Plugs and Themes

@benwisdom,

Nope - from the FAQ on the support page.

• Will Sense remember my devices if I remove them from the smart plug?

We are not yet training your Sense monitor to recognize the plugged-in device in the absence of the smart plug. Therefore, for the best experience, we recommend that you set up your smart plug to monitor a device or set of devices, and then leaving it in place. That said, the new data collected by smart plugs will be of great benefit to our Data Science team in improving our device models and detection. With this in mind, we hope to utilize them towards implementing such a training feature in the future

1 Like

Do any of the other TP-Link smart plugs work with Sense? If not, is support for them in the works?

Thanks

Explanation here:

ā€œWe know that these are not the only smart plugs on the market, but we chose to focus on them for a two main reasons: (1) they are both popular models in the market, and (2) they report not only on/off data but also wattage. If other smart plugs meet these criteria, we will consider adding support for them as well.ā€

If the TP-Link Smartplug you want Sense to support meets those two criterion, let them know. But criterion #2 is pretty limiting. I think the HS-300 is the only other TP-Link device that meets that one.

1 Like

Thanks for the infoā€¦

Think I read somewhere on this forum that the Wemo Insight and TP-Link HS-110 use the same chip setā€¦ so it was probably fairly easy for Sense Engineers to implement both products.

The HS300 is pretty awesome, 6 outlet surge protector, each outlet acts as an individual HS110. So for an entertainment center, thatā€™s pretty cool.
ā€¦ Itā€™s just not going to be many HS300 units out there today, but it sure would be nice compared to cramming-in 6 separate smart plugs behind everything in the stereo cabinet.

1 Like

@MachoDrone,
The HS300 would probably be quite helpful to Sense in the long term as well, by providing measurements for each device plugged into the outlet strip. But the ST Microelectronics measurement chips (x2) in the HS300 operate very differently than the Maxim part in the Wemo and HS-110. Iā€™m hoping TP-Linkā€™s firmware does a good job of making the HS300 API-compatible with the HS110. That would make Senseā€™s job easier.

1 Like

Hoping that too since I have one on the way as it was on sale for $49.95 on black Friday. :grin:

2 Likes

Will Samsung Smart Things work with Sense? I already have a small fortune invested in these smart plugs. They seem to meet your criteria for wattage but not sure about what on/off data you are looking for. They report to the hub if the device is on or off but they donā€™t track data for total time on or off if in fact that is a criteria. I would think Sense would do that anyway like they do for other discovered devices.

I think the issue for Smarthings is their reliance on Zigbee / Z wave for updates from the plugs. Zigbee is probably not up to snuff from a bandwidth perspective for real-time power reporting back to the hub (1 update per second x the number of smartplugs). Have seen several postings of this ilk in the Smartthings community.

The Sense Hue integration does work via Zigbee, but it only communicates data (on/off and power level) when changes are made to bridge/bulbs.

v23.1 (iOS) and v23.2 (Android) have been released. This patch brings two major changes to v23:

• Ability to disable control for smart plug devices
  • Updated (and more aesthetically pleasing) teal and purple themes
2 Likes

Hi,
I have recently connected a few Wemo Insights to sense. I am wondering if they help or hurt device detection or always on items? If a device is connected to a Wemo insight, could Sense still potentially detect it, or will Sense ignore detection since it is powered by the Wemo?

From what I understand is that currently Sense will try its best to not detect anything behind a supported smart plug to avoid double counting things. This is hopefully changing in the future.

The best idea is to put them on things that use the most power (not 240V unless you are adventurous) and have highest likelihood of not being being identified by Sense. Things with highly variable motors (newish appliances), computers, servers, AV systems and the like.

This is a good question and Iā€™m going to add it to the FAQ page: https://help.sense.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011987374-Smart-Plugs-Frequently-Asked-Questions

@frankwin.hooglander is correct. To avoid double counting, we will not be running models to look for the associated device.

However, one of the primary goals behind the smart plug integration was to get better ground truth data about devices. From this data, machine learning-based device detection will improve overall, avoiding the need for a smart plug on a yet-undetected device (at least from a purely detection standpoint. Donā€™t forget that control is one of the other major benefits here).

So I assume at some point you will start trying to detect the device(s) then? Else weā€™d have to remove the Smart Plug from the device(s) for a period of time until it gets detected naturally!?

Those details are all still being worked out (and will likely see external Beta). Trust that weā€™ll make it as seamless as possible.

3 Likes

Got a little update for you guys.

Weā€™ve added support for the TP-Link HS300 power strip. It will go out in tonightā€™s firmware update.

Each outlet on the HS300 (not including the USB ports) will be seen by Sense as a unique smart plug. Connecting is no different than the HS110. Connect the HS300 through your Kasa app and Sense will recognize it soon after.

1 Like

Thanks Ryan! This is awesome news and much sooner than i thought it would happen

Great news! Now lets focus on one of the few inwall options out there!!! I canā€™t be the only one wanting a nice inwall option to work like the TP-Links!!!

1 Like

It would be nice to have an in-wall option. I like the iDevice smart outlet, but donā€™t own any today. It ticks the box on at least one of the Sense requirements - it supports power monitoring via WiFi. But who knows if itā€™s reporting rate or API are up to the task.

1 Like