Data gaps started suddenly

I now have several occurrences of gaps in my data. This all started suddenly today and around the time Sense recognized a new device, Motor 5.
Any ideas on what causes this?
Sense 2May2017 Sense 2May2017 - Album on Imgur

If it’s like mine, it’s due to poor wifi coverage. The monitor just lost coverage. I had them too until I installed an access point in the garage where the power panel is. I havent seen one since though its only been less than a week.

But not to worry! There’s enough memory in the monitor that those gaps should fill in if they’re less than 7 hours in length. It takes some time though for that to happen. Whatever you do, dont pull the breaker to the monitor, you’ll loss the data.

Thanks
That is likely the problem. I’ll watch for a day or two.

Alan Kirk GMail

I had this same problem. The wifi signal was registering 1 or 2 bars when the problem existed. The problem recreated itself 1-2 times a week. To troubleshoot, I plugged a cheap Netgear Wireless Extender in the garage and after 2.5 weeks of no issues, I ended up putting an access point in the garage.

I have noticed that use of our microwave oven can cause data dropouts, due to leakage of signals from the oven interfering with the Wi-Fi (they are in the same frequency range.) It does not always happen, so finding the correlation was tricky. The microwave oven has not yet been identified as a power user, by the way.

Heh, interesting. Wonder if sense can also use wifi signal strength as a data point in the machine learning.

Is your router in your microwave? ̶M̶i̶c̶r̶o̶w̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶q̶u̶e̶n̶c̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶m̶a̶g̶n̶i̶t̶u̶d̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶W̶i̶F̶i̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶q̶u̶e̶n̶c̶i̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶ ̶2̶.̶4̶M̶H̶z̶ ̶v̶s̶.̶ ̶2̶.̶4̶G̶H̶z̶.̶

Nevermind, math is hard :wink:

1 Like

Microwave oven freq are in the middle of the WiFi band (2.412 to 2.472
GHz). Picking a low or high wifi channel may help. 5GHz WiFi will likely
solve the problem, unless the RF seal on the oven has failed!

Alan Kirk GMail

Oh shoot - you’re right! Edited my post :slight_smile:

I did test my microwave for leakage by putting my iPad inside and pinging it with my computer. It answered right up!

Hope no one is pregnant in your house, or wearing a pacemaker O_o

Sense may have saved you more than money on your utility bill in this case!

You have to keep the door seals clean and make sure the latch pulls the door tight.
I work with commercial wifi and video and we find this a lot. Most times we ask the owner to replace the MW.
Usually they were going to do it anyway. You should see sone of the spectrum analyzer screens in the next room.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.